Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Scion xB Release Series 8.0 SoundWave
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals, this is River the audionut. Ever want a window for an amp rack? Want to show off somethin cool you made? Wanna see your amps smoking as they burn up? Here is the easiest, cheapest way to do it.
  1. Planning is everything; you cannot make a window unless you have a purpose for it. What I mean is in the case of my car I wanted to show off the amps and some fiberglass work I do. A plexi window is the best way to overcome a lot of things including hiding wires/connections and making illusions of lighting. 2 types of windows, 1 is a flush window with the floor. This one will cost the least in plexi and will take more time and will scratch the most as well. Tempered Glass won’t scratch as much or hardly at all, but is gonna cost more. Lexan is best for this but then forget about an etching in it unless your willing to throw major coin at it and then this diy doesn't apply to you anymore. The second is to have a window that is sunk in like mine in my picture. This one, you can make a protector that sits in the open window and then protects the window and adds strength as well.
  2. Figure out the area of the window, this is done best by 2 things. 1 is the area to be shown and 2 what the weaknesses will be afterward. Weakness? Yes, if you add a window you may be scarifying floor strength (windows that are not floors or box fronts disregard this entirely) or bass; another topic.
  3. For the floor style you will need to either make the window really small or very thick and bigger. I like a big window. So I recommend 1/2" thick plexi, not Lexan. Lexan polycarbonate is very strong but will not etch well. Plexi is the answer. You will need to have 3 main bodies of wood or mdf. 1 is the main floor, 2 is the secondary floor(the window will sit inside a hole in this with the leds), and this will hold the window in place. The 3rd floor is the beauty board and that is the one that will have the smallest hole in it. Hiding all the other boards and any wiring as well.
  4. Look at the pictures supplied for a how to do the 3 floors. The main board I used was ¾” mdf and is the main structural floor for weight and strength. This one will hold the windows weight and all else will screw to it. The 2nd board will mount to this board with a bigger hole cutout for the window and make sure that it is only a snug fit on the left and right side of the window. A little bit loose top and bottom will leave room for the led strip or neon string. Note: neon string will not be nearly as bright. It is often a good idea to stray paint black the 2 lower floor boards as they are not designed to be seen. The 2nd board material I used is fiberboard and is a bit flexible but also lighter than mdf by almost half. The top board I used is 1/4’ Masonite and is also light and as it is a beauty board, strength is not a concern. It also is thin and easier to use and keeps the height gap from the plexi low. See pictures for more info.
  5. Building the window is easy, 1) get the window size you need. Have the place you buy the acrylic plexi window cut it to size and glaze the edges, this is not an option, glazing is everything. 2) Get a decal maker to make either a really thick piece of vinyl for the decal/template of the area you don’t want blasted. Or what I did, get 2 vinyl decals made and attach them to the window where you want them. Make sure to cover and or protect the remaining area of the window. When you buy the plexi window it will have a paper protection on it, only peel back the area to be exposed for sand blasting. Wanna take it up a notch? Apply the decal to the paper protection if still present and then use an exacto knife and cut out the area to be sand blasted. This will insure the cleanest finish. The cutting should be light and it will disappear with the blasting anyway. Remember, this will be a reverse image of the finished look. find a shop that does sand/media blasting, they usually also do powder coating as well. You can usually get a small blasting done for about $20-30 bucks as long as you do all the above setup. The place you got the window at will charge a minimum of $100 bucks just to etch. That’s stupid!! If you have them do a clean even blasting at only a millimeter depth or 2 mm you will have what you need. Small scratches can be buffed out deep ones may cause you to start over. Keep this in mind after blasting it.
  6. Now you have a completed window, you can place it on the 2 floors and sandwich it with the finished 3rd beauty board and check the set of the look with relation to the car and any centering you want. Do not remove the protection material until you are ready for the finished look!!
  7. Lighting, this is best done with a led lights as they always come on and never flicker like neon’s sometimes do. Neon’s take up a lot of space and the ballasts can introduce noise to the audio system. In mine I made enough extra space on the second board so that the window would have extra room for the led strip. Neon string can be used as well but it is more expensive than leds. I used 18 leds on circuit style tape found in the links provided at the bottom. I placed them in the cut out of the 2nd board and then placed the window in to snug them in. The leds fire their light into the center of the plexi and thus light up any imperfections and that includes etchings and scratches. Now hook up your leds to either a switch or in my case to the trunk hatch light and replace the beauty board making sure to have a channel for the lighting wires. The rest is up to you.

Above is the finished look. Total window cost, just the window not the amp boards, $65-75 bucks

·
Registered
159 Posts
looks really good! im doing something like that in my windows for my amps and caps, with the mits logo and my business logo. cant wait.

·
Premium Member
2011 Scion xB Release Series 8.0 SoundWave
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that should be cool. I was gonna do more, but with the bad scratch i have I wanna see if it will go away 1st. Mits? Mitsubishi logo in a Scion? or somethin else.

·
Registered
159 Posts
lol, no i have a 3000GT as a show car. full audio, rear mounted turbo, buncha goodies. i just really like the XB culture, and working with NIA i deal with a lot of Scion guys, so it just worked, lol.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=115662521840400&set=pu.115635381843114&type=1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=115662535173732&set=pu.115635381843114&type=1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=115662988507020&set=pu.115635381843114&type=1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=150244895048829&set=pu.115635381843114&type=1&theater
the audio never got to be trimmed and finished, it had the caps and amps installed, then the engine blew, so i never got to finish it. im in miami and the car is in orlando, lol. when i get the engine fixed ill get it finished. hopefully by the next show.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.