171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Items needed:
Call 1 Hitch Kit $263.25 shipped from www.hitch-web.com
Blue Threadlocker
Torque Wrench
17mm socket
19mm socket

1: Remove factory tow hook (drivers side). Use 17mm socket.

2: Place hitch under and test fit to make sure the bolts will line up. You will notice 3 threaded holes in the frame rail on each side.

3: Apply threadlocker to the six install bolts (I chose to re-use the factory tow hook bolts, so they don't get lost), and hand thread them in place. You may need someone to help hold up the hitch assembly.

4: Use your torque wrench with the 19mm socket and tighten to 65lbs. You will not be able to reach the last bolt near the muffler, so hand tighten with whatever works for you.

I wrapped the end of the hitch with black electrical tape just to be safe due to the close fit.

You should be all set. Here are a couple pics of it installed.

Please let me know if you have any questions or anything I should correct. This is one of my first posts, and the wiring is soon to come.

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Gracias muy grande!!!!

I am seriously considering a hitch, and this makes the decision that much easier, knowing what's involved.

Did yours come with the ballmount? What rise is it? Or if it didn't, what do you plan on using? Also, what will you be towing? Thanks

BTW, check here for better prices: http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2008_Scion_xB.htm

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im getting one also for a bike rack.... Need to haul my bike around when I go down to the beach...........

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
boblamb58 said:
Gracias muy grande!!!!

I am seriously considering a hitch, and this makes the decision that much easier, knowing what's involved.

Did yours come with the ballmount? What rise is it? Or if it didn't, what do you plan on using? Also, what will you be towing? Thanks

BTW, check here for better prices: http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2008_Scion_xB.htm
It did come with a ball mount, pin, and clip. I believe the rise is 2.5, but I will have to double check. It will be used to pull a dirt bike on a smaller aluminum trailer (500lbs +-) and my waverunner (900lbs +-).

Your link does have a little better price, but by the time you buy the ballmount you will be right around the same price. Hitch-web had great customer survice. FYI the wiring kit for a trailer is about $75 if anyone was wondering.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Thanks again.

The price at etrailer is only for the hitch and drawbar, the ballmout and wiring kits are extra, so yeah, just about the same price overall.

We need more of these DIY's with pictures and good deatail ,like this one. You get some good karma points from me :)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
BigMikeLV said:
Whats rated tow rate for the xb?
There um is no tow rating. Scion never designed the xB to two anything and as such didn't give it a tow rating or made a tow hitch avaliable. However I have heard from quite a few that the xB tows extremely well.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I believe that if you are using the hitch for towing bikes you won't have any problems. However, I would install a transmission cooler for any other kind of trailer towing just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys. When I bought my xB the idiot salesman told me there was a 2500lbs towing capacity... I knew he was lying after researching, but I went along with him anyway. Guess I will be doing the trans cooler install pretty soon.

Scion says no towing whatsoever, but it doesn't make sense to me. My girlfriend just bought an '09 corolla s and the manual describes how you should tow.... ???

·
Registered
154 Posts
I could see the hitch beign used primarily for a bike rack... I wouldn't tow with it though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
where do i find the wiring kit for the xb for the trailer??
and where can i find the cooler for the transmission?

Thanks

I just bought the hitch for my xb, gonna be installing it when it arrives

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've done this install as well. The original poster shows it well.

You can buy the hitch much cheaper on ebay. Or search around on the web. It is a Uhaul branded hitch and many places carry it.

There are not any plug-in trailer wiring kits. Eventually someone should make one, but so far no. Keep in mind that if you go ahead and splice the brake lights, you may void your warranty. If your wiring is intact, you can say you use the hitch to carry a bike rack or something (which is what I use mine for 99& of the time.)

I doubt there are any aftermarket auto tranny cooler kits. I didn't look, but I can't imagine enough people are wanting one for it to make sense to mass produce one. What are you guys hauling that you are concerned about the tranny?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
superwhite08 said:
There are not any plug-in trailer wiring kits. Eventually someone should make one, but so far no. Keep in mind that if you go ahead and splice the brake lights, you may void your warranty. If your wiring is intact, you can say you use the hitch to carry a bike rack or something (which is what I use mine for 99& of the time.)

I doubt there are any aftermarket auto tranny cooler kits. I didn't look, but I can't imagine enough people are wanting one for it to make sense to mass produce one. What are you guys hauling that you are concerned about the tranny?
And that is why I haven't even wired it up for lights. I live about 10 mins from a lake and don't plan to be hauling anything at night.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The plug in kits are designed to work with a vehicle that normally tows. As part of the vehicle design it has a plug on the harness where it splits to go to the taillights. You unplug it and put the light unit in between them. I dont have access to the vehicle rightnow so I cant look and see if it has a plug in the back. If it does you could allways order a harness and cut the ends off to make the patch so that you can plug and unplug the additional wiring.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hellen4wheels...

Here is the thread on hitch installation....this looks like what I have ordered...only the cost has come down...I'll post after my installation.

Brewski
08 xB, M5

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.