Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: I'm NOT responsible for any damage done to your vehicle.

Let’s get started

IF you never solder or are not comfortable with soldering;
1. Please read some tutorials.
Soldering Tutorials 1
Soldering Tutorials 2

2. Practice. I like to practice with some old/broke circuit boards, there’s no risk in braking what’s already broken!!
3. Patience. Please Take your time and look at what you’re going to be removing/modding.

Tools:
1. Solder Station. Any Solder Station will do. I recommend weller solder stations. Remember most of the components are very small so get a station that is able have different Tips.
2. Solder Wick/Braid. Get here.
3. Reverse Action Tweezers These are great for soldering Small components. Get here.

4. Solder.

Parts:
Most of the LEDs we’re going to be changing are “PLCC-2”.
I buy mine from ebay, Great Price and great turnouts!! Here’s who I use
HKJE LED Lamp Center.

Let’s get started!!
Follow these steps and Get associated with the gauges as we go along.

Here’s what it looks like all pretty and new!

Remove the Gauge Cover. Remove 4 Screws.

Remove the Gauge Connectors.

Remove 8 Screws and back cover.

Here’s what you’re looking at when the cover is removed.

Press Slightly on the Black Tabs to Remove the Front Cover. There’s 4 Tabs, 2 at the bottom and 2 at the top.

Here’s what we’re looking at now. Remember where the needles sit. Remove the Needles and Gauge face plate.

Let’s Remove the Circuit Board from the housing. The board should come out easily except for the section where the LCDs are connected. I used a small Flat head Screw drive to pry the circuit board out. BE PATIENT AND TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!!

Here’s the Circuit Board in all its Glory. Cue the Mystical Music. ”AHahahahaAHahaHah”.

And here’s what everything is.

Apply the solder iron tip each side the LED one at a time. If the LED doesn’t Budge use some solder wick.
Once LED is removed, apply Solder to the silver pad, if you put to much remove it with the solder wick and try again.

NOTE:
The LED will have a small notch at one corner. That tell you that Cathode leg of the LED. Face the Notch towards the Cathode Drawing on the circuit board.

Place the new LED in between the silver pad while holding the LED with the Reverse action Tweezers, hit each Leg of the LED with the solder iron to solder the LED in place.
Repeat for all other LEDs you want to replace.

Here’s the Finished product.

Any comments please PMME.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry for the HUGE pictures.
if a modder can show me how to resize the images I'll resize them....

I just found this site. I've been on SL for 3 years.

any Questions please don't hesitate to ask(PMME)

I also will do installs on tC, xB(Square and Round), xA and xD.
xA $35 + Shipping to and back.
xB(Square)$35 + Shipping to and back.
xB(Round)$55 + Shipping to and back.
tC $95 + Shipping to and back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quick question for OP...what color are the led's? It looks purple, but the closest I see on the e-bay link is pink?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TunerChick said:
Quick question for OP...what color are the led's? It looks purple, but the closest I see on the e-bay link is pink?
ok... what are you looking at? the once that say "pink" can be pink or purple. Not sure yet, haven't ordered them yet.
Pink and Purple are so close together in the color spectrum that many people will confuse them.
are you looking on doing Purple on the new xb?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I want to do purple! So you think if I get the pink it would be close enough to purple... Also, have you done this with the stock head unit?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem with purple or pink is that they don't throw much light, so you have to go in a do some more changes to the board like change the resistance going to the LEDs.
:(

I did one Purple but I used totally different type LEDs, I had to change the resistors and 2 LEDs per 1 normal one. And even then it was till some what dim.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did any of you drive the xB when the gauges were disconnected?

Did you also change the LED's on the climate controls?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CamSr said:
Did any of you drive the xB when the gauges were disconnected?

Yes you can still drive with out the gauges. Just can't tell how much gas you got.

Did you also change the LED's on the climate controls?
Yes their Neo-Wedges.

·
Registered
21 Posts
dasaint80
first off, thanks for all the info you have contributed so far to this site :D :D

secondly, can you tell me EXACTLY what LEDs you ordered from ebay. I saw a few different descriptions on that guys website, they looked like they could all be similar but I would rather use something that someone has proven works. I am planning on doing your push button re-location and figured if I had the gauges apart I might as well change the color. By the way, how many LEDs am I looking at swapping total?
Thanks again,
Matt

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The LEDs that are for our gauges are called "PLCC-2"(square Type).
you're looking to do about 30 LEDs could be more could be less.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thank you for your step by step. We did this mod yesterday....although we have to change the overlays for rom, gas and temp....gotta figure out where to order those.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Do you think changing to red LEDs would look red without changing the gauge faces?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Somewhat but since the gauge marks are orange it would be red with an orange tint. If you want true red you would need to go with white LEDs and red gauges.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts