Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was browsing online and saw a few adds for somethin they called a Twister claiming this piece of metal(or at least looks like metal) once placed in your air intake will increase you speed and give you better gas mileage. Is this BS or really true? Anyone tried it before on here?

Here is what the ad said:
"When the Twister is installed in the air intake of your vehicle, the incoming air travels through the twister and produces a vortex. Air moves quicker into the engine when this is done. More air into the engine means the fuel burns better and stronger, SAVING YOU GAS. Tests have shown up to a 33% increase in MPG. And have also proven 20 HP gains."

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Rule of thumb . . .

If there WAS a cheap and easy "insert" that significantly improved horsepower and/or mpg with little to no loss of either, the auto manufacturer would have it as stock.
Why?
They spend a small fortune looking for ways to make horsepower and better mileage together. If there was a simple and cheap solution that worked, it would make their job just a bit easier.
Now . . .
There MAY be some sort of complicated and/or expensive solution that isn't feasible for a production line and therefore dropped to save cost, but I've not seen one that works.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i tell you waht tho u want meter mpg then make yourself a HHO cell. i made one that makes 2.5 liters of hydrogen gas a mininut for my van and i get 12-13mpg out of a v8 318 5.2 liter VAN.( used to be 8)

·
Registered
317 Posts
r2d2michael said:
i tell you waht tho u want meter mpg then make yourself a HHO cell. i made one that makes 2.5 liters of hydrogen gas a mininut for my van and i get 25mpg out of a v8 318 5.2 liter VAN.
im a little lost. my field is hydrogen fuel cells, is that what you're talking about?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sovereign said:
r2d2michael said:
i tell you waht tho u want meter mpg then make yourself a HHO cell. i made one that makes 2.5 liters of hydrogen gas a mininut for my van and i get 25mpg out of a v8 318 5.2 liter VAN.
im a little lost. my field is hydrogen fuel cells, is that what you're talking about?
I'm a little lost as well!! Maybe if r2d2michael ran spell check we would better understand....or maybe not!

Brewski

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well as far as the tornado or twister my father got one for his kia copy and as far as I see it does nothing it's more of a placebo effect.

But my beef is with the hydrogene thing. What a load!!!! from what I remember from grade 10 physics is in order to porduce enough hydrogene for this to make a diffrence you need way more electeic power than are pewnee alts. can produce. Also I watched the video and really love the part when the guy says "for this to work you need to get all this other stuff.... and for even better mpg follow our driving tips" geeze what a con!!!!

So lets say you get this, install it, and it doesn't work call the company or this guy or the fly-by-night # for costumer support what are they going to say ??? "for optimum results you must buy all our products and follow to the letter our driving tips" ???

You want to get good mpgs?? my advise change your driving habbits! keep the revs low and dont spin the tires.

·
Registered
166 Posts
lol sorry i was rushed at work. its not a hydrogen fuel cell,( they make electricity right?) but a on-demand hydrogen system. you have the anode and cathode with a electrolyte in between them. as current passes from one plate the next it splits the electrolite( electrolysis) into hydrogen and oxygen(if h2o was the electrolite). the engine then burns the hydrogen and making the engine more efficient thus saving gas. many people claim its a fraud and yes the people who sell a small cell and say it give 70% more mpg are anusmonkeys but enough hho will inprove mpg. and you dont need all this exter crap on older cars. my van is a duel carb no 02 senors hell its computer is hardly there. 1978 van. it has been proven you can run a engine of pure hydrogen but im not running it off hydrogen. im injecting it in a controlled amount. and i have a 300amp alt. but your right it is con in a sense. for the people who buy a system thats undersized. i have batter funding than most people who makes these cells due to it being part of my job as r&d.

·
Registered
781 Posts
RS5.0#778 said:
Hey I was browsing online and saw a few adds for somethin they called a Twister claiming this piece of metal(or at least looks like metal) once placed in your air intake will increase you speed and give you better gas mileage. Is this BS or really true? Anyone tried it before on here?

Here is what the ad said:
"When the Twister is installed in the air intake of your vehicle, the incoming air travels through the twister and produces a vortex. Air moves quicker into the engine when this is done. More air into the engine means the fuel burns better and stronger, SAVING YOU GAS. Tests have shown up to a 33% increase in MPG. And have also proven 20 HP gains."
Sounds great, all you need is a carburetor and you're in fat city :)! Oh, you have injectors? And they're located at the cylinder end of your runners? Oh, well -- maybe next time :)!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts