Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why do the door locks unlock when you park the car?

i have never had a vehicle that did this and it seems kinda unsafe as all four doors unlock at once [someone could be lurking somewhere] :eek:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric said:
Do you have Scion Security or an aftermarket alarm? I don't recall the stock xB doing this, but I only had it a day or two before I had the Viper put back in... If you do have a security system, I'd check to see if whoever installed it could set it so only the front or drivers side door unlocked.
i still need to get the security system installed, so it is not that...

well, it could have been just the front doors unlocking, but i still do not like the fact that it automatically unlocks the doors. i would rather do it myself :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
yanges said:
i still need to get the security system installed, so it is not that...

well, it could have been just the front doors unlocking, but i still do not like the fact that it automatically unlocks the doors. i would rather do it myself :)
I think that's xB's default setting. I don't know how to change it though, I thought it's kinda convenient to lock the door when you put in drive, and unlock when you put in park. Never thought it's annoying :)

However, you can actually try opening your door when the lock is in the "lock" position, and it'd still open. So it defeats the purpose of automatically unlocking your door...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was driving a rented Corolla recently and it did that too!

my 2004 Solara that i just sold did not work that way - you would think it would be consistent through Toyotas/Scions vehicles...

i had the original xB also and i do not remember the locks working that way...

·
Registered
476 Posts
It is in your owners manual about how to change the door locks. I changed mine to lock when I shift from Park and will unlock all of the doors if I open the drivers door within 10 seconds of turning the engine to off. If it takes longer than 10 seconds to open my drivers door after the engine key if removed, only the drivers door unlocks and that is because I used the door handle to open the door.

Check in the manual, it is quite easy to change.

·
Registered
70 Posts
scion said:
It is in your owners manual about how to change the door locks. I changed mine to lock when I shift from Park and will unlock all of the doors if I open the drivers door within 10 seconds of turning the engine to off. If it takes longer than 10 seconds to open my drivers door after the engine key if removed, only the drivers door unlocks and that is because I used the door handle to open the door.

Manual?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lvbitwiz said:
scion said:

Manual?
Owner's Manual :)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
scion said:

hi scion

can you help me out with this - i am trying to set it that way and when i push the door lock switch within 10 seconds after putting it in neutral and hold it for 5 seconds NOTHING HAPPENS! it does not click on and off to acknowledge the change and still opens the default way...

Thanks for any assistance you can give me!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yanges. On page 17 and 18 is where the information is found. I had some trouble changing the setting so the door lock didn't unlock with the shifter and had to do it a couple of times. Just make sure that you are pushing the unlock side of the button when you are trying to set the mode for unlocking the doors. The same goes for when you want to set the locking position for the doors.

To select the locking linked with the shift position: It says to shift the selector lever to the "P" position...the car is already in the Park position, so what are you shifting from? That is the part that I didn't get. Try puting the car in "N" then "P" and pushing the locking side of the lock button within 10 seconds.

Make sure that you set your hand brake as this might have something to do with it.

I did just what the owners manual says, I don't know any tricks that might help.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yanges said:
Thanks for the tips scion!

i will mess around with it and see if i can get it changed :)
so i finally got the locks to stay locked when putting it in park a week or so ago after fooling around with it...

today i go to get my alarm installed and when i get the car back, the doors now unlock again when i put it in park!! and the alarm is in control now so i can not reset it the Scion way.

so i call the alarm guy and he says 'most people like it to unlock so we set them that way'. i then drive over to his shop and he fixes that for me and they work the way i like them to again so all is good! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts