Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize it's not a good idea and I certainly didn't do it to push the limits but I happened to run the car to the point where the fuel range read 1.

Go ahead yell at me I deserve it! But I didn't mean to run it low!

So as I sweat it out looking for a gas station ASAP leaning forward nervously as if that helps lol..... I find a station fairly quickly..... I filled it where it autostopped twice, and it said I put a little over 10 gallons.

Maybe I'm crazy but if the car took 10 gallons then I'm assuming realistically in worst case scenario as my range claimed only 1 I actually had plenty (20+?) miles left to empty because I had a couple gallons left.

Regardless I try not to run it low, but today I did because something came up.

I guess the dramatic "get gas now"! Indicator is better to be generous than to be "yes I said your range was 40 miles but you just ran outta gas sucker!" lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah I discovered the same thing in one of my company's fleet Tauruses. We ran that sucker at 0 range for a good 5 miles before we found a gas station. I think the manufacturers build in a fair amount of leeway for situations just like that.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
It's a 14 gallon tank. The light comes on WAY early, as does the gauge hit "E."
The "miles to empty" is based on on of those.

I've ignored it for years ...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They try to dummy proof it. Ive personally put 33 miles after 0. Over stretched as far as id like. Never been worried at 0.
You rebel! Lol.

Yes my average fill up is just over 9 usg and at that point it says my range is around 20 or so. Realistically if I'm putting 9 gal my range at worst would be like 80 or so! It's just funny how it wants to get you nervous while it seems you have plenty of fuel left to run the car safely.

Oh well the xB likes to fuel up earlier than needed I guess.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'm sure part of that generous leeway on the gas gauge is because the fuel in the tank also acts to cool the fuel pump. Car manufacturers want to be sure there is always plenty of fuel to keep the pump well submerged.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It's a 14 gallon tank. The light comes on WAY early, as does the gauge hit "E."
The "miles to empty" is based on on of those.

I've ignored it for years ...
Wow, to be honest I thought it was 12 gallons, LOL. I don't think I've ever put in more than 12, and I have ran it past E. That is a big cushion they built in then. Good to know.

Running it past 0 and only putting in 10 gallons, haha. wtf. I'm betting the computer was off on that one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.