Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All:

I've been going crazy over this for a couple of years, so humor me, will 'ya?
(This certainly has nothing to do with "performance," but where should it have been posted ..?)

Anyway, will someone PLEASE tell me what the difference is between TRD's $47 "billet" oil cap (http://www.trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?Mdl_dtl=631&Part_cat=1&parts_id=563) and its $36 "forged" oil cap (http://www.trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?Mdl_dtl=631&Part_cat=1&parts_id=1524), both supposedly for the 2AZ-FE engine.

Both are ludicrously expensive, but why does one cost 30 percent more than the other?

Thanks in advance, Marc

·
Registered
979 Posts
In the description the first says billet aluminum construction. I take that to mean they machined it out of a solid block (billit). The second says forged aluminum construction. That sounds like the aluminum was melted and poured into a mold. Then they would just have to clean it up. If my assumptions are correct, the first would have a lot more waste. Maybe that would account for the higher cost.

You could always email Sparks and ask. :D

·
Registered
739 Posts
I may be wrong but I do believe that forged means it was shaped by heat and pressure not molded.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I may be wrong but I do believe that forged means it was shaped by heat and pressure not molded.
I stand corrected! So assuming a blacksmith didn't hammer it out by hand... would that make it stamped?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to both of you. It is indeed a mystery. Maybe one of 'em's "cast" aluminum! Just kidding - although I did for a while think that one of the caps is of the "screw-on" type whereas the other could be of the "twist-on" variety.

All of the handful of mods I've done to my '09 are at least partly functional.
Until now. I'm thinking about an OBX carbon fiber engine cover and an aluminum oil cap. I hate "bling" of any kind so I'm telling myself these purchases would be justifiable in that I'd be getting rid of some plastic (which I also hate).

Anyway thanks, Marc

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
According to Tim down there at Sparks (and a proud fellow Scikotics member who owns a green xB1 named SnotRocket), the $47 one is MUCH better and of a significantly better visual quality than the $36 one, which is a more "generic" aluminum cap w/ a TRD domed sticker stuck on it (and looks like such in person).

I'm planning on getting the $47 one when finances loosen up. For now, I'm running a simple, cheap, blank aluminum oil cap.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Very true . . .
But, that's what the vast majority of our mods do anyways . . .
Look pretty, but little real function.

Edit:
On that note . . .
I just "scored" a cheap Ranchero tailgate emblem that will be my main grill emblem. Pretty, but ZERO actual function.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.