Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone been using S-mode while driving the automatic?

i was trying it out today while driving around and it almost feels like i am driving a stick shift again - it works really well and really utilizes the engines power. feels pretty quick too when using it - i like it!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
yanges said:

i was trying it out today while driving around and it almost feels like i am driving a stick shift again -
Yeah I agree, almost is right.
Do you feel it's more responsive than regular D?
I haven't really tried it yet. Like Eric I'm also trying to get my mpgs up.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ToFuXb said:
yanges said:

i was trying it out today while driving around and it almost feels like i am driving a stick shift again -
Yeah I agree, almost is right.
Do you feel it's more responsive than regular D?
I haven't really tried it yet. Like Eric I'm also trying to get my mpgs up.
it is definitely more responsive - you gotta try it to believe it!

keep this in mind, when driving in S-mode the default range is 3rd range [utilizing gears 1-3] and it drives just as if it was in drive in 3rd gear, downshifting automatically when needed.

so if you are in S-mode in 3rd range and want to be in 4th range [read Drive], just upshift to 4th range and it then drives exactly like it is in Drive.

essentially, you can drive in S-mode all the time and if you need a little more power [like when hitting a grade], you can downshift to 3rd range and it takes off! :rockon:

just be sure to look in the owner's manual for gear speed ranges and do not over-rev the engine. supposedly, it will give two warning tones if you try to downshift to a gear at too high a speed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've tried it a couple times and I don't get it. If I wanted to shift I'd buy a manual.

The only practical use I can think of is to use it to force a downshift but if you just mash the skinny pedal it should downshift anyway.

It's a gimmick.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
superwhite08 said:
I've tried it a couple times and I don't get it. If I wanted to shift I'd buy a manual.

The only practical use I can think of is to use it to force a downshift but if you just mash the skinny pedal it should downshift anyway.

It's a gimmick.
:eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
superwhite08 said:
It's a gimmick.
Absolutely, most definitely NOT a gimmick!

I live in the Cascade mountain range in Oregon. 4 days a week this Scion is driven off the mountain to the valley floor, and then back up again at night time.

If you ever drive this car on a winding and hilly road then you will immediately see the benefits of this "S" shifter.

And it's important to use it too. You don't want to be going up a steep hill with your RPMs under 2k. Drop the gear and drive up it in a range that your engine will appreciate.

And what about when you're going downhill on a winding road with some ice on it. Downshifting to get some reverse torque (or whatever you call it) on the wheels - instead of using your brakes the whole way down, will provide much more control and stability going downhill with snow or ice.

I've also taken it on some of the mountain fire roads around my house, and these dirt gravel roads that are steep as hell beg me to shift it down to 2 or even 1 sometimes.

Not in any way shape or form is this type of tranny a gimmick.
You just need to be in a situation where it benefits you.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
toker4two0 said:
superwhite08 said:
It's a gimmick.

I live in the Cascade mountain range in Oregon. 4 days a week this Scion is driven off the mountain to the valley floor, and then back up again at night time.

If you ever drive this car on a winding and hilly road then you will immediately see the benefits of this "S" shifter.

And it's important to use it too. You don't want to be going up a steep hill with your RPMs under 2k. Drop the gear and drive up it in a range that your engine will appreciate.

And what about when you're going downhill on a winding road with some ice on it. Downshifting to get some reverse torque (or whatever you call it) on the wheels - instead of using your brakes the whole way down, will provide much more control and stability going downhill with snow or ice.

I've also taken it on some of the mountain fire roads around my house, and these dirt gravel roads that are steep as hell beg me to shift it down to 2 or even 1 sometimes.

thanks for the in depth usage report for mountain driving using S-mode toker4two0! - good tips for those that have not done much mountain driving :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I cant remember which forum but I read about someone doing a paddle shift mod which basically added to paddles to around the steering wheel to utilizes the s mode

·
Registered
9 Posts
Agreed. I don't use it much, but it does provide some decent engine braking. Actually i usually drive in "D", but shift to neutral when I know I'm going to have to stop. Love seeing the MPG meter peg a 90 MPG! It's part of how I squeeze 26 to 27 average MPG out of the XB.

...be one with the xB, Grasshopper....

bill

toker4two0 said:
superwhite08 said:
It's a gimmick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
that is called engine braking

toker4two0 said:
superwhite08 said:
It's a gimmick.

·
Registered
62 Posts
AnimalBoy said:
i use the s-shifter when I'm trying to sober up! :yes:

but i don't do that often.

I'd rather listen to music really loud.
Don't do what? Sober up often? :rofl: :rofl: :D
Sorry couldn't help it fell of the wagon. :rolleyes: Did it again.... didn't I?

I love the s-mode when taking an exit ramp at about 30 ish seems the car enjoys the downshift as it slides gently around the corner. Cheap thrill. :yes:

Can't wait to get my NF210 springs on to get the feel then. :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
i love the S-mode too!!! I was driving on the interstate, and a honda civic ( :thumbdown:) pulled along side of me to take a better look of my BSP, so i dropped it down a gear and showed him nuthin' but tailights baby!!! :rockon:

...by the way i just put my 1000th mile on today, so technicnaly i shouldn't be doing that...but that's what warranties are for right!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts