Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get some of the factory style driving lights for my xB does anyone know if there all pre wired for them or not?

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
The US spec ones are. The wiring is taped up on the sides behind the plastic bumper cover and the plug end is taped WAY up behind the dash- just pull off the panel (where the pop-in switches sit) under the side between the wheel and door below the silver part.
There have been different reports for the wiring's presence or absence in JDM, Aussie, and CDN models.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, yes I mean the fog lights. Thanks for the info guys I ordered some OEM look a like ones and was hoping to have the OEM wiring to work with.. :cheers:

· Registered
1,033 Posts
I ordered some OEM look a like ones and was hoping to have the OEM wiring to work with..
In my opinion the OEM wiring is a bit light (wires seem thin). I'm pretty sure the OEM fog lights are 35 watts so if your new lights are also 35 watts each you might be OK. My old school fogs are 55 watts each, so I added an aftermarket relay, just to be safe.

Also the wiring for the OEM dash switch is a bit weird. Rather than mess with it, and also to keep a factory look inside, I bought an OEM factory light switch. About $50 shipped but it makes it plug and play. Doing so will make the fog lights powered only when the low beams are turned on, and will cut power to the fogs when the high beams are on.

FYI if you do the wiring right (or get the OEM switch) when you turn on your fogs, an indicator light in your instrument panel lights up to remind you that your fog lights are on.

Have fun!

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, I was thinking about using the OEM switch to ease the install...

· Registered
3 Posts
i have a set of 100/150 watt piaa fog/spot beam lights... going to mount then in the lower grille. everything is pre-wired including the switches and relay... just have to run the wires threw the ***** of a firewall grommet lol... my question is... is there any way to hot wire the pre existing fog harness so the dash light works?

· Registered
133 Posts
I have a set of OEM fog lights that I installed. The Scion is getting traded in as soon as I remove the TRD springs, rear sway-bar & curt hitch. If your local in the Phoenix area I would gladly change grills with the fog lights and the switch for a little cash. I'm 100% sure I will not get anymore for the trade-in with the OEM fog lights installed.

Oh, I also have a sweet set of forged 14 lbs 17x8 45et wheels these cost me over $300 each new, with new 245/45-17 tires. I only get an extra $300 for the wheels & tires. So if you have very clean low milage tires and some cash you can take them off my hands. I made the mistake of selling the OEM tires & wheels for cheep just to get them gone.

Sorry I NEED a TRUCK so the 2012 xB Scion w/ 7k on the clock is going by by. I will be selling the springs sway-bar & hitch for the 1st fair offer I get. I don't like crap in my garage! So this stuff must go fast!!!

This week 12-25 to 12-31 is the best time of the year for working with dealers as they need to show they moved stock. Years ago I had a dealer trade book for book and charge no DOC fees.

AZ

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunetly I'm nowhere near the Phoenix area I'm in Delaware, I would be interested in the hitch though if the price was right....

· Registered
152 Posts
True, Mach..... They say not rated to haul a load over 700 lb's (or something like that) and the transmission cannot handle any type of trailer. However, I believe a hitch so you can add a bike rack or something very light is quite acceptable, as long as you do not exceed the loaded maximum capacity.

It is in the manual and should be your source for the actual numbers. 700 lbs may be a little high or low....

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just a heads up, i remember reading in the manual to not install a hitch on an xb. Not sure why, something about not being designed for the load
True, Mach..... They say not rated to haul a load over 700 lb's (or something like that) and the transmission cannot handle any type of trailer. However, I believe a hitch so you can add a bike rack or something very light is quite acceptable, as long as you do not exceed the loaded maximum capacity.

It is in the manual and should be your source for the actual numbers. 700 lbs may be a little high or low....
Thank you both for the info, I don't want to pull a trailer with it I have one of those racks for putting a cooler and stuff on from my truck I want to be able to use with it....

· Registered
133 Posts
Yep, only carry my full XTR. w/ king, Moots YBB or my full XTR w/king Rigormootis racing MTB. I'm guessing the YBB should be about 22 lbs the hard tail Moots is almost 21 lbs. Bought them when I was single. :D

If I can find a box the hitch is yours. I want this crap gone.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I can find a box the hitch is yours. I want this crap gone.
Dude that would be awesome, let me know I'll send you my address and gladly pay you for the shipping

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
The Aussie version (same engine and chassis/shell as US is rated for a 500kg or 600kg trailer load. Now, that is ONLY a bit over 1000/1200 pounds -WAY less than most in the US a trailer for. THAT is the main reason it isn't recommended in the US. Someone will read "trailer OK" and haul a 5,000 pound one and mess up the tranny or damage the frame/shell- then sue Yota over it.
1200 lbs is LIGHT for US trailers and many trailers themselves are near that weight limit.
IF you use a trailer, be VERY aware of the weight. Aim at 1,000 pounds trailer, MAX TOTAL of trailer and all load. So, if over, you "safe."

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It will never get a trailer hooked to it, I want it only for the rack. I still have my truck if I need to pull a trailer....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.