Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

excited to get my new spoiler attached, but it came with holes for screws and a pad that prevents it from being perfectly flush. pic included. should i tear this off before i start?

thanks!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Use the screws and replace the foam with red 3m permanent tape! Drilling isn't that bad!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would literally rather lose the spoiler on the highway than drill into my baby :)

I just don't have the guts - I already scratched some clearcoat taking the xb logo off hehe

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I agree with miloxb. Get over your phobia and drill. Scratches or hole misplacement will be covered by the spoiler. Just use drill stops and start with small drill bits, gradually moving up in drill bit size to the desired thru hole size. Once you have the spoiler mounted, the foam cushion tape will be compressed by the screws. The use of screws will ensure your spoiler stays on (it's anti-theft too) and the spoiler won't come off to become a road hazard to someone else.

Read this thread:
http://www.newscionxb.com/135-do-yourself/6369-spoiler-wing-thoughts-insight-diy-tips.html
Others have done it, you can too!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the link!

Hey does this forum seem a little bit over-the-top with the monetizing? And are the # viewing on forum titles false to give the impression of more users? meh

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still really deadset on taping it on, I have the proper tools but I just really really like the idea of taping it. The most cutting edge in tape technology.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm still really deadset on taping it on, I have the proper tools but I just really really like the idea of taping it. The most cutting edge in tape technology.
I say go for it. I work with 3M VHB tape all day in the sign industry. We call it $1000 tape after a guy accidentally stuck a $1000 sheet of stainless steel a little out of line. Needless to say the sheet was destroyed trying to remove it. The only thing you will have trouble with is getting it aligned perfectly. Make sure you mark where you want it before you remove the liner and get someone with a good eye and a steady hand to line up one side while you, or another person, do the other. Once it's on it's on pretty much. The only thing against this is time and weather, but you should get at least a year out of it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
307 Posts
Its your call all together brother, but I got the same spoiler from Ebay and decided to drill. It seems too heavy and the contact surface does not seem enough for me to trust it being on. All in all took me 45 minutes to install. I had a Saleen spoiler on my Mustang that I had trusted to double sided tape... needless to say, on a trip here to San Antonio (I used to live 3 hrs from here in a small town named Del Rio) half of it became unglued and fell. Thank fully the other half held it in place while I pulled over to get it in the car before I lost it. Not the most horrible experience but having to drive back home with a 4 foot spoiler in the car was not very comfortable for me and my wife! lol

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I posted on a 2008 thread on another forum, and someone came back to say they had changed their view since -- they didn't want the spoiler anymore but now have a hole or two

Here's a pic for you guys from today, this is a huge lifetime achievement for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.