Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not much into the whole stereo sup-up, extra speakers, random TV, ex cetera thing, so I don't know much about what our boxes are capable of handling.

That said, I've had the idea of incorporating a removable TV and DVD player in my box. The style is completely different than ANYTHING I've seen before, but will keep it secret for now.

My question:
Is the stock alternator capable of powering a small (15 inch?) TV and DVD player?
Both are plug-in, so I'll need wall-socket type plugs.
Would a converter designed to plug into a stock power outlet and an extension cord be able to power the TV and DVD player? Would trying it fry wires (overload the wiring harness)?

I am planning a portable TV and DVD player in the back compartment. My present plan is to run a power converter out of the front socket and a normal home-use extension plug to the back of the box, where my TV/DVD combo will be sitting.
The sound will be ran BACK to the front to the input plug in the center console to run through the box's stereo system.

Also, I am hoping to use this set-up when traveling with my kids on long trips.

Is any of this setting off "red flags" to any of the audio-video gurus on here?

· Registered
235 Posts
That should be alright, a TV/DVD combo doesn't pull to much power. You should be good, it won't fry wires thats what the fuses are for. I think you would be ok. If it doesn't work you'll know petty quick, but it shouldn't hurt to try.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It isn't a combo unit.
It is a home DVD player (in a certain appropriate style) and a TV I will be setting into a theme-appropriate unit.
It will need to be removable to be also in a bag for use when traveling with the kids (and set by straps between the seats for the kids to watch).

· Registered
528 Posts
What I've always thought about doing is this:
1. Get and install a larger power inverter, one of the ones that need to be hard wired like an amplifier. Hide it under a seat or something.
2. Take the inverter apart and splice your extension cord into where you actually plug it into. This step is unneccessary, but I think it would be just plain trick.
3. Use an exterior style flip open receptacle.
4. Mount anywhere you like.
5. DONE!

This way you can essentially have an outlet anywhere you want. You don't have to wire into the inverter, but I think it would be trick. Almost be like how most vehicles have the 110volt outlet towards the rear.

*once again, I am a little out of the ordinary and this is a bit of a large job.*

· Registered
96 Posts
Hey,

That sounds doable the only hickup would be making sure that the power inverter you get can handle the tv and dvd.
I had a small one in the past so that i could plugin my laptop and it worked fine.

I however suggest that you get a lcd tv since their demand for power is not to high.
No need to worry about the alternator(generator) it puts out 100amps on that level you should be fine.

side note; if you plan on using this as a "theater" when camping or parked maybe think of a secondry ground one the links to a steak that you jam in the ground

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After talking to a couple electronic-install guys in Scikotics . . .

My original plan is DEAD.
It isn't able to be done the way I envisioned. We discussed several ways to make it work, but it would have either endangered the vehicle wiring harness (a BAD thing!) or had DC/AC issues.
It just got WAY to complicated, which is something I didn't want.

I MAY do a variation, but using a dedicated and store bought vehicle TV/DVD combo.

My DEAD plan:
Use a plug-in DVD player I found at Toys R Us on clearance:

And a TV integrated into an appropriate display.
THAT part may still be done, so I'll hold off for now.
All would be removable.

I was also hoping the same system could be detached from my housing and used by my kids during travel on LONG trips.
I don't want the integrated system, so the kids don't become dependent upon watching movies on around town and short trips (an hour or so).

· Registered
35 Posts
If youre set on the pirate dvd and tv idea its still totally doable. You can get a high end dc-ac converter cheap at most truckstops that are actually built for this exact need. Vegan said what I was allready thinkin'. These converters run $50-$100 and are the same shape/size as an amp. You could mount under the rear seat which would make it accessable to the rear as well as the backseat area. It would be a simple install (just like running power and ground to an amp). I hate to see your dream die TJ. LONG LIVE THE PIRATE DVD!!! and sorry if all I did was reinforce Vegans post, but I completely agreed with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.