Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well . . .
I use KC Driving Lights as "deer finders." I have been pulling them off in the summer and back on in the winter (dark comes MUCH sooner in winter), as they look real exposed.
Before:

I have a new solution, using my 5" ones.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The mounting:

Off-angle (not straight-on), they are virtually invisible.

I am especially happy with the results as THIS was my work area and tools:

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Those look awesome! And you can keep your horns I see

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only Damaged has a comment? Really?

I figured this would raise more comments, pro and con.

The position puts them outside the radiator.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm just late to the party because of all the holiday goings-on.

That is a really cool look having them behind the grill. One concern I would have is related to the fact that your grill appears to be made up of a series of flat bars. Doesn't that make all the light go forward instead of shining down onto the road?

Personally, I like the rally light set-up you have in the second picture. I really like your Divco grill though.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used that as I had it from another project. Plus, I figured the extra strength would help with the original, more cantilevered design (which hung too low).

A full length one wouldn't be hard, just lots of aiming to get all the holes just right . . .
And lots of time with the jigsaw ...

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's somewhere. Plus, I'd probably use different mounting points, as the whole front lip mountings are missing (were part of the original grill).

That would be a project for another day . . .
Plus, I'll have to buy more material, not just pull it out of the storage closet.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Ok. Ill be the sore thumb. Not a fan of the hidden light thing. Cuz theyre not hidden. As in a out of sight kinda way, retractable. To me it looks goofy. Plus the obvious cutdown on light. I dunno. Just not for me.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the honesty, Slorocket!

Note, I said "embedded," not "hidden"...
My intent is not to have them sticking out, so they are in more controlled airflow and less visible-> for year-round install and usage as deer-finders.
The bars are unfortunate in that they do block some of the light, but at least make them less visible and more "integrated" for every-day driving.
The 6" give significantly better light, anyways. But, they won't fit in the space available.

I'm still working on the aim ...
It's not as easy to adjust with them like that.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yeh I get what ur sayin TJ. Alot of pick em up trucks here do it. Behind the grill. Mostly the ford guys. I just dont care for it. Now ur rally look is much better. But thats obviously sticking out . Guess I just like the classic looks. Light bars on trucks too.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The rally look isn't gone. I love it the most. I still have the 6" and will run them.
Maybe . . . Get a third set . . .
3 for winter? If I do-> get another pair of 6"? or 5"?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Another set? Man I dunno. Thats alot of lights to power. Im sure all on independent switches n whatnot. That be somethin with em all on at once. Theres alot of led options out now, but pricier.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
3 independent wirings, with little other added electronics/draw (most is stock, actually), the alternator/battery would provide plenty of juice. The main issue would be leaving them on. Plus, I don't have to run all three at once (usually only ran 1, aimed to the outside of the stock brights) unless really dark).

3 sets would be mainly cosmetic and primarily for moonless runs on rural (mountain or in the woods) roads. I am in that situation more than I would expect. My fault for living in a small rural town and driving in the mountains.

Many of my mountain AND country miles are in national or state parks =with lots of wild animals wandering around, inc. deer, bears, yotes, and even wild cats- bobcats and panthers/cougars. I've SEEN all those on roads. Hence my interest in upgraded bright-lighting. "Normal" projectors are plenty for city/town driving, but the stock brights are wanting, esp. in light spread to the sides.
My Miata has Hella H4s, which work well. The xB's brights stink in comparison. It is really noticable in late November, December, and January, with "night" coming by 5pm. In the summer, the dark-dark comes late enough that I am usually home by then (kids at home wake me up early).
DO NOT use brights in the city/town!
In ANY populated or lit situation, I don't use them (the KCs) at all- only stock lamps.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
For the Urbanites reading this thread and wonder "Why does he need THOSE?" ...

This is typical of the roads I drive on, probably 90% of the time:

THAT is a "major highway" around here. Most have the trees much closer to the road and dense. That is 2 miles from my house, on my way back from Lowes (bought some shelves). I drove 40 miles almost exactly like that on that shopping run, plus more through some populated areas.

-This is a straight stretch. Most have bends in them. The woods on the side have gobs of deer (the big fear around here) and other wildlife that can make for a long night if unseen.

Plus, there are national and state park "forest" lands scattered all around my area. And, one of the major "crops" is now pine trees. So, I drive through huge, dense pine woods much of the time.

The other, fun, roads I enjoy are like:

Those are on "straights," as I usually enjoying the curves too much to get a picture.

On those types of roads, the lights make big a difference in scanning the sides for wildlife that might try to cross in front of me.
This mod is for function, not cosmetics, and to allow a year-round application of a useful addition without the lights bring "out in the air" (and possibly ripped off the grill in a parking lot).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts