Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The size of the Gen 2 xB engine is 2.4 Liters.

That is a measurement of the inside of the cylinders.

In cubic inches . . .
That is: 146.4 CI.
Not quite as impressive sounding . . .

Specifically . . .
It has an 2362cc mill. But that still works out to 2.4 and 146.4 with how they are measured.
That works out to 590.5cc per cylinder.

Consolation:
The 1.5L gen 1 is a wopping 91.5 CI.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
It goes something like this:

2,362cc, 2.4 liter in-line 4 front engine with 88.4mm bore, 96.0mm stroke, 9.8 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder 2AZ-FE, 158 hp.

Doesn't that sound impressive, especially if you don't know what half of it means?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2,362cc, -- the total amount of interior volume within all the cylinders put together
2.4 liter -- restatement of the above to get a smaller number that easier to say and write
in-line 4 -- The arrangement of the cylinders within the engine
front engine -- Where the engine sits in the vehicle (could be mid or rear engine in other vehicles)
with 88.4mm bore, 96.0mm stroke, --the cylinder size/movement
9.8 compression ratio, -- how much pressure is in the cylinder head (as I recall)
double overhead cam, -- What drives the valves bringing air in and out of the cylinders
variable valve timing/camshaft -- The timing/movement of the valves varies for optimum burn at different engine RPMs and conditions (better for power and economy than a fixed timing system)
four valves per cylinder -- How many valves take air in and out of the cylinder
2AZ-FE, -- The precise engine designation within the Toyota nomenclature system
158 hp. -- How much power the engine makes

Make sense now?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad I ain't seen as the Woe-Man . . .

:p

Original intent . . .
In muscle cars, people talk of 350s, 409s, 427s, and all sorts of massive displacement mills (numbers in cubic inches).
Ours has only 146.4 CI.
That doesn't sound very impressive in comparison to big blocks . . .

That said, Toyota does AMAZING things with those 146.4 CI!

·
Registered
741 Posts
146.4 C.I. doesn't sound impressive but did you know that the IRL engines are 213.6 C.I.'s and they fly around all day at over 200 MPH.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.