Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed Strup headers, cat back exhaust and a Weapon-R S-pipe, (in that order) after about 200 miles after the s-pipe went on I started noticing when I was in 5th gear (manual) if I stepped on the gas the RPMs would go to about 5k with no acceleration. Now it's doing it if I barely tap on the gas. It's very frustrating trying to make it up hills. I asked my AutoBody teacher (as i'm still in high school) and he said that it was my "overdrive"

Answers, Thoughts, Tips?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your autobody teacher is an idiot.
That's what I thought. I asked my dad about it, and he said it was probably my clutch.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yeah, sounds like the clutch.

The Car Talk guys always say to put your car up against a wall (or other immovable object). Put it in the highest gear. Let out on the clutch.:eek: If the engine dies, then the clutch is ok.

Sounds like a great way to scratch the heck out of a bumper though - or even crack it! I officially don't recommend you do that.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, sounds like the clutch.

The Car Talk guys always say to put your car up against a wall (or other immovable object). Put it in the highest gear. Let out on the clutch.:eek: If the engine dies, then the clutch is ok.

Sounds like a great way to scratch the heck out of a bumper though - or even crack it! I officially don't recommend you do that.
Definitely not doing that! I read that you can also pull the e-brake, or hold the brake with your toe, and press the gas with your heel.

Now, any suggestions on clutch's to buy? I've heard of people getting a stage-2 clutch.

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
How many miles are on your xB? You could ask around to see who does good auto repairs. Today's clutches should last a long time if you take care (100k),don't "ride the clutch" meaning don't use it to hold on a hill or slip it accelerating. The biggest concern is getting it hot and warping it. The dealer is going to want to charge a lot for the parts,and labor.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got 40,000. I was planning on doing it myself with the help of a friend or two, as I probably couldn't afford to pay someone else to do it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
**** 40k what happened to quality ! Althought adding that extra 15 hp didnt help, do you drive like a teenager?
...I am a teenager. haha.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Before you start replacing that clutch,please do your self a favor and read up on this proceedure. You'll have to separate the engine and tranny to access the parts. The engine bay is tight and there isn't much room. It can be done, but supporting both engine & tranny while they're apart is very important so nobody gets hurt. We all want to see you graduate with all your fingers!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wasn't aware that you had to separate the engine and the transmission. Got an estimate today, $1157 :(

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm glad that you looked into this. When I was your age (yes there were cars then),guys could replace cluches themselves.Cars' drivelines were front to back (rear wheel drive) and one could take them apart because there was a lot of room. A replacment clutch ***'m. was ~$30.Today's cars are front wheel drive and the eng.&tranny are all one unit sitting under the hood with axils sticking out. they are installed from under the car during assembly,making repairs more dirricult.
Hope this helps you understand why this fix is a lot of $$$$.
Dale

·
Registered
474 Posts
I wasn't aware that you had to separate the engine and the transmission. Got an estimate today, $1157 :(
Hope that you are considering a "tougher" clutch as you may need it with you mods and driving habits....;)

Brewski

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to, but as I don't know anything about them, I don't know what to get. want to help a brother out?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stage 1? stage 2?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.