Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as I was about to merge onto the interstate my engine decides to start giving me problems. When I put my foot down on the gas it was like my engine wasn't burning the fuel it was pumping, i left off and it idled fine, I then gassed it, and same thing. The engine died, I left it off for a few seconds, started it up ran fine until I was coming back to town, after I was back in town, it did it again. but this time after it die, it died immediately after I started it, twice.

any thoughts? I'm very concerned.

· Registered
159 Posts
check your maf, make sure its plugged in. check all the basic stuff, and if that doesnt do it if you've still got a warrantee, off the dealership you go would be my recommendation.

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got 47,000 miles. and had the car for 3 years. I don't think I still have a warranty.

· Registered
474 Posts
I've got 47,000 miles. and had the car for 3 years. I don't think I still have a warranty.
Have the dealer check it out...some of the emissions stuff will still be covered and could be causing the problem.

Brewski

· Premium Member
2,527 Posts
this isn't exact to what you're saying but its worth a shot:

2008 xB Manual trans

25,000 miles

*note: this has also happened to my friend's 08 xB.. it's an automatic.

So, here's the story:
*6/10/10*
I recently took a 500 mile round trip in the first part of May. about half way through when I was cruisin around Portland, Oregon, my xB DIES!!! like I turned the key off. No spittin and sputterin, just plain SHUTS OFF.... I thought I might of popped the clutch so I started it and went on. about 10 minutes later it happened again.. WTF!!!!!!! so far, the past month it has died EVERY TIME I take it out.. Doesn't matter if the engine is cold or warm. I am at a loss. I call up my friend who has another 08 xb (automatic) and he had the SAME EXACT problem as I do. AT 25,000 miles..... he had to take it in to the dealership 3 times before they found the problem. The engine bay wiring harness was bad.

Well, I took mine in today to the same dealership. The wiring was the FIRST thing they tested. It was the same tech that worked on the other B so he knew where to try.. NOTHING.. didn't work.. they had it all day and could not duplicate the problem. The tech said that maybe I got a tank of bad gas (water in the fuel) he suggested I get some fuel dryer. I did and that is where I am at now. I have to take about a 80 mile trip tomorrow so I will see what happens....

I wanted top share this to see if anyone else is having similar issues...

*7/8/10*

Got the problem figured out. It was one of the engine wiring harnesses... The one going into the engine bay fuse panel.
H
ere is what the dealership repair order reads:
************************************************** *******************************

Customer states upon accel and also when clutch in braking to a stop-- vehicle will bog down and die

cause:
1000 diagnose and replace engine harness for repair
1295 WTM
1- 82121-12J00 Wire, Engine
1- CFRT freight, critical

Vehicle dieing intermitently- code P0102 Pulled - Did TBS
S-SB-0050-08 Replaced Engine harness for poor connections in main plugs

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
08s have a known engine wiring harness issue. There was a "bad batch" during the 08 builds and Toyota (officially anyways) doesn't know which were and were not affected. The 09s are supposed to be different and it does NOT have the harness problem.

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't seen it happen again, so if it does, i'll definitely swing by the dealership. Thanks Phobic and Tartan!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.