Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the borla and Toyota exhausts, and I am thinking that they really do not do much other then change the rear tail section. Do they eliminate the rear "canister", and anyway what the heck is that a muffler or resonator, or cat? I know most muffler shops can throw on a flowmaster or similar in place of that and maybe a monza tip with dual outlets, and I won't even have to get dirty. Probably only run about $150.00 max. If the canister is only a resonator, then it could probably be removed entirely. Anyone try this stuff yet? :confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
jeepstrjohn said:
I have seen the borla and Toyota exhausts, and I am thinking that they really do not do much other then change the rear tail section. Do they eliminate the rear "canister", and anyway what the heck is that a muffler or resonator, or cat? I know most muffler shops can throw on a flowmaster or similar in place of that and maybe a monza tip with dual outlets, and I won't even have to get dirty. Probably only run about $150.00 max. If the canister is only a resonator, then it could probably be removed entirely. Anyone try this stuff yet? :confused:
I haven't tried it yet, but there are others that have. The "canister" of the stock and TRD exhaust is a second resonator. The Borla exhausts are pipes only. Some guys are removing the cat/resononator and sticking a straight resonator in its place and using a muffler where the 2nd/tail resonator used to be.

Clear as mud? :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
The Borla Dual Exhaust replaces the rear pipe and resonator and attaches dual piping that, according to Borla, gives better flow, better HP, and better MPG. A universal setup like Flowmaster is likely to restrict air flow and that should be taken into consideration when deciding what to do.

Ken
www.trdsparks.com

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ive got the Strup exhaust on mine now, which is an axle back with a pipe leading to the GIANT submarine resonator in the middle. Im also running a prototype Weapon R 4-2-1 header and S pipe. Im waiting for the prototype Weapon R cat back exhaust which gets rid of the huge resonator while upping the piping to 2.5" which would show significant changes in power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts