Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've decided on getting some lighting for the underside of my xB. I am (me-being-me) doing it "different" than most anyone else. What I want is simple:
Green lighting ONLY under the back, under the bumper, behind the rear wheels. Any blink will need to be 1-2 seconds between blinks.

Anyone have specific recommendations on how to pull that off?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Has anyone used the LEDglow seller on ebay?
Someone in scikotics (at Sanitarium) recommended an ebay seller and I can't remember who (either one).

Edit:
My aim . . .
Under the rear area (behind back wheels) under the bumper plastic- bright, bright green

Rest, glowing red through the body (NOT underneath). Mainly, wheel wells, engine bay, and behind the grills/radiator fronts.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They don't particularly need to blink, and a strobing or line running and the like wouldn't look right regardless.
So, that should save a bundle on the cost.
What I want:
Circuit 1:
3 36" strips in green for under the back

Circuit 2:
4 red wheel-well lights
Red strip for the grills/radiator (stick-on)
Red strip mounted to underside of strut bar (stick-on)

Neither needs to strobe.

Plus, 2 on-off buttons mounted inside the car (what I will need advise on).

This will be the first time I'm doing lighting, so ANY advise is welcome.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've used the LEDglow eBay seller twice and their website once (ledunderbody.com) and I'd use them a fourth time if needed. They would have the wheel well kit you want, but probably not the green lights the way you want to do it. As for wiring, you could get the OEM style switches to go next to the traction control button, and run the wires to fusebox in the engine bay through the hole in the firewall that is up and behind the pedals. Oznium should have most if not all of what you need. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Oznium will have what you want. I bought an underglow kit from LEDGlow and it did work, but it wasn't as bright as I wanted. I have switched everything over to Oznium products and I am very pleased with quality, fast shipping and great customer service! As for switches, I haven't found anyone that sells OEM style switches that fit in the openings of the Gen2's. Oznium has remote control switches that work great, I don't even need to be in my car to activate my lighting!

A few examples of my updated lighting:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oznium has the switches that would work for what you need (They are made for TC's and earlier xB's..So these probably will not work) as well a wireless remote (That I have and love). They also have some Beefy LED strips that would work perfectly for what you need. Just look through some of the pictures on the product page for info:

http://www.oznium.com/beefy-led-strip

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'll look into both LEDglow and Oznium. I'm not really after function or sheer brightness. Well, I want a bright green butt-glow, but a dimmer red. So, LEDglow should work for the red just fine. Would 2 or 3 strips of green mounted a few inches apart under the rear (all behind the axle C-beam) be fairly bright?
It's taken me 3 years to even bother w/ lighting and even then it isn't a big deal to me anyways.

For the switches, I'm thinking 2 slide-switches in the blank beside the shifter, mounted one above the other and sliding L/R.

I'm trying to keep this simple as possible.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I use Oznium too and I am impressed with their stuff. I have mainly used the flexible strips and had no issues. I love their remotes too. If it were me I would go remote control for your plans. Easier to set up and more functionality / control.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I am now thinking:

Interior:
-Back cargo light, green
-Dome light, red

Exterior:
Plate light-> green
Rear, under: "firefly" light, green-> 3 36" LED tubes, spaced 5-8" apart (10-15" total)
-- This will be on an interior switch, so can be tuned off and on from the driver seat
Nose: red 36" LED strip mounted to the back of the actual metal bumper, to subtly glow the upper and lower grills in red.
-- Set on engine-bay mounted switch as a sub-circuit connected to the rear green ones main circuit.
Maybe: Wheel well glow, in red.

Engine: ?????
Some combo of red and green.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.