Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys ... I just got my '11 xB in September and I would like to personalize it a bit, but I have sooooo many things that I have seen running thru my head that I cannot decide where to begin.

So ... let's have it ... What are the first 3 mods (or top 3 mods) that you have made to your xB and why did you start with those in particular??

I bought mine with the windows tinted, shifter knob replaced, subwoofer & Alpine deck, TRD lowering springs and 18" wheels w/ lo-pro tires ... so I have those modifications covered. Just don't know where to go from here ...

Thanks!
============================
2011 Black Sand Pearl automatic, 20% tint + brow, TRD lowering springs, factory Alpine deck, factory Bazooka powered sub, Drag DR-9 flat black 18" rims with 225/40/18 tires

·
Registered
164 Posts
Depends on what you want. First thing I do to any car is a tune up, new plugs, brake check, fluids checked and changed, etc.

Performance B:
Intake back exhaust. Intake and header back to tip. Technically that's 3.

Classy B:
Lip kit, wheels, springs.

THUMPING B!
Head unit, all new interior speakers, gigantic subs. (for the record I would never have a thumper (or a thumper bike))

·
Registered
979 Posts
I pulled the badges off the hatch and painted them. This was super cheap (spray can of paint and 3m double-stick trim tape)

Rear sway bar. This made a big difference in body roll around corners

Replaced dome, cargo, and map lights with led's (and added one above the cargo area). This was relatively cheap and made the interior so much brighter. The one above the cargo area is a huge help when loading/unloading cargo at night.

To keep going... ;)
Rear bumper protector - my son dragged something across the bumper when removing it from the cargo area and scratched the paint. I like the look a lot though.

Switchback led's in my front turn signals (doesn't apply to 2011+ though I don't think)

HID's - love the white 5000k look

Amps and sub (my RS 6 came with a factory/aftermarket headunit)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm all for intake and exhaust. Wake that engine up a little and make her growl! I also like my under dash leds. All my windows are tinted too so its pretty dark in the box at night time and the leds under dash are perfect amount of light.

·
Registered
149 Posts
1. Replaced dome/map/cargo lights with white leds, as zinger said it's a night and day difference and SUPER easy and cheap.

2. New headunit (I bought my xB used and it was missing the knobs). I'm running a very basic Pioneer double din, and love it for the Bluetooth. Plus aftermarket HUs make it easier to run subs.

3. Underdash and underseat LED strips. If you're like the other 10,000 or so xB owners on here, you'll probably realize how dark the xB gets at night. It really makes the xB come alive at night and certainly brings the wow factor.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
I did tires and new upper grill (09 has the original style nose). I forgot what I did third . . .

First was to put less slippery ones on, I got ones with far better grip. The second was because I HATED the stock one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input!
I have considered a CAI and exhaust, but I am not familiar with what that would do to the gas mileage. With commuting 100+ miles a day, the last thing that I want to do is kill the gas mileage further! (On a side note, would it have killed Toyota to put in a 5 or 6 speed transmission??)
I would also like to do some interior lighting, just some low level LEDs to run at night to keep the po-po off my back about how dark the windows are ...
And the main thing that I was thinking of, and I have not seen this addressed in all the looking around these forums that I have done, is moving the USB connection from inside the center console to the dash where there is that space to the right of the shifter that looks like a switch belongs there ... Has anyone seen this? It looks like you could put a double USB connection there, one to connect to the head unit, and one to just charge for a passenger to use ...

·
Registered
149 Posts
CAI and exhaust don't really affect your gas milage unless you love the sound so much you keep flooring it lol, it actually helps milage out alittle. I haven't seen anything like that done, although making it a dual USB charging port would be quite easy but having it hooked to the HU would be a serious pain (espically if its stock). Right now I have a switch mounted there for my footwell LED strips.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Also there are 5spd xBs out there, they're just not as common to come across.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Also there are 5spd xBs out there, they're just not as common to come across.
I think he meant a 5 or 6 speed automatic instead of the 4 speed auto.

As for first mods, I pulled the black vinyl from the pillars, lowered it, and did a ton of lighting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yes, I did mean a 5 or 6 speed automatic transmission ... I did my time with manual transmissions with the 280z and the (2) Celicas that I had. Now I like to relax a bit when I drive ... especially in hilly areas with stop signs! LOL!!

I really wish there was an easy way to get rid of all the **** amber LEDs in the interior ... I cannot stand that color! I would much prefer a blue, but all the DIY stuff that I have seen on here shows a real complicated process that I am not going to undertake myself. And I am not remotely near California to take it somewhere to have it done ... Even the Alpine HU has those amber LEDs ... Ugh!!

And can someone answer this ... I have seen all of these HID light kits for the headlights that you have to add a transformer and rewire and all of that, but I have that look with just bulbs. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Ok guys ... I just got my '11 xB in September and I would like to personalize it a bit, but I have sooooo many things that I have seen running thru my head that I cannot decide where to begin.

I bought mine with the windows tinted, shifter knob replaced, subwoofer & Alpine deck, TRD lowering springs and 18" wheels w/ lo-pro tires ... so I have those modifications covered. Just don't know where to go from here ...

Looking at the mods you've already done, I'd suggest:
  • rear wing (really changes the look of the car)
  • rear sway bar (really changes the handling of the car)
  • interior LEDs (helps a lot at night)
After that:
  • replace the stock door speakers with component speakers
  • Prius wiper switch mod (especially if you drive in the rain a lot)
  • foglights (mostly for looks)
  • back up camera (if your deck will support one)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks BrickPig! I like your ideas ... and you have kind of laid out a template for what makes the most impact. I think instead of the fog lights I would try to either do the 2013 vent lights or fashion something up myself ... I like the look of that much better (No offense intended!)

Funny that you mentioned the Prius wiper switch swap ... I drove the wife's Prius to work yesterday so she could get my windshield replaced (for the third time since Christmas) and I was teasing her that I was just going to steal her switch.

But that got me thinking ... Does anyone know if it would be possible to swap the window control to be able to have the auto-up feature?? THAT would be AWESOME!!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I think instead of the fog lights I would try to either do the 2013 vent lights or fashion something up myself ... I like the look of that much better
Some people on this forum have added LEDs to their "cheek" vents (myself included). They do add a lot of "presence" to the car and help you get noticed. Functionally they add a lot more value than foglights, especially if you use the vent lights as DRLs.

·
Registered
979 Posts
...that space to the right of the shifter that looks like a switch belongs there ... Has anyone seen this? It looks like you could put a double USB connection there, one to connect to the head unit, and one to just charge for a passenger to use ...
If you buy the factory alarm system, that's where the mic goes for the glass-break sensor.

·
Registered
979 Posts
But that got me thinking ... Does anyone know if it would be possible to swap the window control to be able to have the auto-up feature?? THAT would be AWESOME!!
I actually asked about that at a body shop last summer. (After my xB was viciously attacked by a basketball hoop.) The owner of the shop said it depends. On some cars that is controlled by the switch, but on others it is in the on-board computer. He wasn't sure which the xB does.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not to hijack, but if you (or anyone) WANTS a manual xB mines for sale or trade for auto. Wife hates stick. I should be in the classifieds.
I'd be more than willing to trade my auto for a stick. I have a babied and heavily modded '09 that just turned 90k if you'd be interested. Bads about mine: has a nice fist sized dent in passenger fender due to backing into a pole at like 5mph backing out of a space. Horn doesnt work due to aftermarket steering wheel and just haven't hooked it up. No high beams because aftermarket headlights require HID bulb to fit inside housing. I saw you're in KY, I'm actually driving from TX to OH this weekend, I could come meet up if you want to talk business.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I can also add a vote for the rear bumper protector. It looks great and really helps out, especially when other people who don't care about your car as much are removing items. And I don't mind sitting on the back when putting on golf shoes :)

I guess you can see my first 3 mods in my signature. The C-pillar cubbies are cool, especially since there should have been something in those spots anyway.

You probably saw my thread about the LED interior lights. It just takes a little boldness to try prying stuff out, with some time and some patience, but it is a minor pain. Whenever I read about mods and how people say they were so easy and awesome I take it with a grain of salt because things like this are never as easy as you'd think at first.

I am doing cold air intake soon and really want to get 17" wheels. I'd like to have lowering springs but I'm not sure with all the snow this winter. Rear sway bar sounds like a good one.

As for HIDs, I'd like to do those also. I think I will end up going with the ones from The Retrofit Source because of the quality reputation and the HIDs they have that fit our cars with the return wire thing oriented correctly to be out of the way of the light- the "H11-B" bulbs.

And can someone answer this ... I have seen all of these HID light kits for the headlights that you have to add a transformer and rewire and all of that, but I have that look with just bulbs. Am I missing something here?
Maybe you haven't noticed yet, but I can easily tell the difference between HID headlights and bulbs in other vehicles on the road at night... every one. This is since I've been paying attention to this. There is the brightness, the color, and the color change with angle, and I don't know how else to describe it. I don't know what look you're talking about that you already have. There is the cutoff on the projector which is pretty cool, maybe that? Or just the projector lens itself? Or the clear housings? The point of HID is the light of course.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Oh yeah . . .
C-pillar nets!
THAT was my third early mod!
Very practical.

Actually, I think the grill, c-pillar nets, cargo net, and tires all followed one other mod.
I didn't like how the stock shift know felt. I changed it to a ball (auto-parts-store 8-ball) in the first few days. I had completely forgot how much I hated the feel of the stock knob. I wonder where I even put it?
I haven't thought about it in 5 years . . .

I shift by putting my hand on top and the original "joystick"/trigger style know meant my palm was right on the top point. VERY uncomfortable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.