Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I bought my Scion I had a little money left over so I placed some orders for a few parts. They all came in and I spent the weekend getting everything installed. It was fun and I had no issues...

I put on the following parts:
K&N Typhoon Intake
TRD Rear Sway Bar
TRD Strut Tower Brace
TRD Rear Spoiler
TRD Knockoff Ebay Muffler
Clarion 400 watt Amp
Custon 10" sub box

I had a powered Kenwood sub that I installed under the seat, but it kept tweaking out when I turned up the bass so I took it out and put in an old Clarion 400 watt amp I had in the garage. I bridged it mono and built a little box to put in the rear cargo area. Initially I left it sealed but after hearing it I decided to port it and now it sounds great!

I also painted my engine cover red and the letters silver just for the heck of it. I'm also going to paint my calipers red...

I really love the way the car handles and sounds now. I actually hear the intake more than the exhaust now. The Ebay muffler is really well built and looks just like the TRD one. It fit great and was easy to install, but it is disappointingly quiet. I mean it sounds just like stock to me with just a little more deep tone at idle. The tubing is 2.5" and it's fully stainless with good welds and the rectangular tip. I only paid like $80 shipped so I'd say it's worth it. It has to flow better than stock the stocker.

Pretty basic stuff so far. If anyone has any questions about anything, feel free to ask away...

Pics:

Kenwood Sub that I took out...No pics of Amp and Box yet...

· Registered
422 Posts
I too have the K&N short ram. You are going to love it.

· Registered
782 Posts
TRD Rear Spoiler
Not sure how to interpret "First stage mods" -- my interpretation of overall car mods is they are (or should be) very much oriented towards the personal preferences of the owner, staging doesn't really fit. However, when trying to grow engine performance (for example), I can more easily see a "staged" approach. I'm really curious about that TRD spoiler -- I obviously overlooked that option/accessory :( (mine is Scion)! Also, you have a "TRD Knockoff" axle-back exhaust? Please excuse me, I'm only aware of an Ebay knockoff TRD ;)! In any case, sorry if I'm seeming a smart ***, guess it's just a question of language, I seriously hope you're enjoying what you're putting together, I know I enjoy mine :)!

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure how to interpret "First stage mods" -- my interpretation of overall car mods is they are (or should be) very much oriented towards the personal preferences of the owner, staging doesn't really fit. However, when trying to grow engine performance (for example), I can more easily see a "staged" approach. I'm really curious about that TRD spoiler -- I obviously overlooked that option/accessory :( (mine is Scion)! Also, you have a "TRD Knockoff" axle-back exhaust? Please excuse me, I'm only aware of an Ebay knockoff TRD ;)! In any case, sorry if I'm seeming a smart ***, guess it's just a question of language, I seriously hope you're enjoying what you're putting together, I know I enjoy mine :)!
I figured you were going to tell my how my TRD strut brace doesn't work...

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
It works GREAT, in a tight curve on a road.
I LOVE mine in that situation . . .

· Registered
782 Posts
trevor, you know you can edit your posts right? you don't need to delete them haha
No, I hadn't figured that out, fortunately Jack filled me in last night :), but deleting is just so much more dramatic :p!

I figured you were going to tell my how my TRD strut brace doesn't work...
No, as Jack said, it works, though it really isn't noticeable unless you do something that stresses the steering. Most people don't really benefit from them.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
For those who don't see it . . .
Trevor posted 5 times that he deleted and then what ya'll see is the 6th. Phobic and myself can see the deleted posts.
The "normal" view is: This message has been deleted by TrevorS.
Then, on the right, where edit and delete are it has "view post" as a button. Hitting that option we know it was progressive edits rather than something else.

Now you know, so enough of that.
Now, back to your normal posting . . .

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
No, as Jack said, it works, though it really isn't noticeable unless you do something that stresses the steering. Most people don't really benefit from them.
Most people don't have this road as their commute...:p I've been driving it since 1997 and know it like the back of my hand...
Patterson Pass From Tracy to Livermore...

So I added my door speakers today. It wasn't too hard. I made MDF templates for the front doors and used my old set of Radio Shack 6" drivers. Don't let the name fool you, these babies pound...

Then I installed my pair of Hertz 6.5 2 ways in the rear doors. They fit right up and I just had to drill holes for new screws...

I'm very pleased with the way it sounds...:D I can crank it now with zero distortion and it sounds so clean...

Front door speakers:

Rear door old vs new:

Stock speakers:

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
I like that road, great sweepers. On that road the sway and strut bar would make a huge difference!

The road to my in-laws mountain cabin has 180" hairpin switchbacks with a STEEP elevation-> that looks like- . . . < or > from the side. That's a blast.

· Registered
107 Posts
Man! those stock speakers look lame!

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im picking up some Hertz speakers for my car too, but I'll have components. nice set.
I had never heard of them but I read the specs and they are some very well made speakers. My buddy used to be sponsored by a car audio place and he only used Hertz speakers. He got me a great deal on these. I thought about putting them in the front doors, but I put them in the back instead since I am still using the stock tweets (which sound great already I might add...), and so the passengers can hear full range too...

Today I'll be painting my calipers TRD Red...

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Calipers painted. I used the 500 degree engine enamel in the rattle can. Believe it or not, I didn't even unbolt them from the rotors and it came out great!...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.