Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys here is the deal. I am helping a friend install fog lights on his xb. They are like the factory ones but not. He is using the factory install instructions. The instrucions say that the hardware kit comes with a fuse. The after fogs he got doesn't come with a fuse. However the switch does light up, bu the fogs don't So I am expecting we have to install a fuse. However the directions don't tell us where the fuse is supposed to go and I can't figure it out. Any help here from those that have doen this?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I installed the fog light kit...funny you should mention the fuse as part of the kit, because I don't remember the fuse and after following the install instructions (that don't mention the fuse again) it all worked as it should. My guess is that the fuse is pre-installed in the fuse panel...and the parts list is a misprint. The problem is most likely in the "after market" switch not having all of the connections of the factory switch. It would be helpfull if someone had a wiring diagram.

Sorry,
Brewski

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah we ended up figuring it out. The fuse was already installed. It was these extension connectors that came with the kit that were causing the problem.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
eh, we mostly figured it out. Think Im going to look into a factory switch. Turned on my light this AM and noticed I didn't have panel lights in the HVAC/ radio area and that my dimmer was useless. Might have just blown a fuse but that seems suspect.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good thing we kept the end of that connector then.

Although check the fuses. I was touching wires together to figure out how to hook it up and I could have easily blown a fuse.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What is the Factory Fog Switch part number? Does any one know?

I bought some after market fog lights, but I remember the aftermarket switch is different from the Factory switch.

·
Registered
963 Posts

I bought some after market fog lights, but I remember the aftermarket switch is different from the Factory switch.
Did you search the forums? I know there was a discussion about the switch maybe a year ago. I remember the switch alone was about $60.

Just a suggestion... I see this xB being parted on eBay has fog lights. Maybe they will sell you the switch cheap.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was able to find the switch at toyota and its actually $50 now.

Three questions:

Where is the harness located at underneath the panel? Is there a label I should be looking for or wire colors?
I notice for fog lights, it mentions Low Profile Fuse, 15A... Where do I install this fuse at (into the switch)?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Where is the harness located at underneath the panel? Is there a label I should be looking for or wire colors?
Mine was just taped up directly above where the switch goes in. It has a plug on it that fits the switch, so there's no mistaking what you're looking for.

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you use the factory wiring, the fog lights come on when you turn on the head lights. If the high beams are used, the fog lights go out and come back on when the low beams are again used.
Maybe that helps understand their operation as they are designed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fogs?

Since this thread is on fogs, I have an 012 and can't figure out why my fogs don't work. I checked and changed fuse under dash still nothing. Is there any other fuse to check? I've checked bulbs they are good.could the switch be bad? They are factory and use to work driving me crazy. Any thoughts or advise appreciated.

·
Registered
963 Posts
There are probably only two wires going to the switch under the dash. Can you pull the plug off of the switch and jump them with a wire? If the lights come on then the problem is the switch. Of course, your headlights have to be on and set to low beams.

I assume you check that the bulbs are both good.

If you're still under warranty take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If it's a factory fog light switch there are 4 wires going to the switch. I wish I knew what each wire does...

Maybe the foglight relay is bad? When you turn on/off the foglight switch do you hear the relay clicking?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Scion xB 2008-present OEM fog light switch p/n is 84160-12060 and costs about $55 shipped

1 - 20 of 22 Posts