Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the foglights today. Turned out fine, but took w-a-a-a-y longer than it should have due to some crappy instructions. The templates they give you to cut the grill are useless. They don’t fit or align like they’re supposed to and the paper isn’t soft enough to be used as bunwad. I spent an hour or more nibbling and sanding to get everything to fit…with a lot of measuring and marking, repeat, repeat again. The tool marks that are molded into the top and bottom of the grill insert are more accurate than the templates, but still require some tweaking. The top and bottom ribs need to be cut accurately, especially the bottom rib because it’s so visible. The ribs in the middle of the grill run behind the foglights and you can just hack them off at the molded tool marks.

The instructions also fail to mention that you need to remove the front license plate because the mounting bracket has some tabs that lock the grill insert to the front fascia. They kind of blend in with the grill insert and it took about ten minutes to figure out why the insert didn't pop out. Speaking of the front fascia, it is amazingly easy to remove and reinstall.

You also need a Torx driver for the screws to attach the lights. Unfortunately you need a RIGHT ANGLE Torx driver because there isn't room for the screwdriver style that I have. That required a late afternoon trip to Advanced Auto Parts. That alone added 45 minutes to the job.

Added note: Before I took everything apart, I marked the driver’s side of the grill insert which really helped identify the orientation while I was working on it.

Bottom Line: Very happy with the results, it just took a lot longer than I had planned. The template problem really surprised me. I’ve installed both the overhead console and cargo cover and the templates for those jobs were flawless.

Tabs on the back of the license plate bracket.

Right angle Torx wrench.

Marked driver's side before cutting.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
boblamb58 said:
The grill comes out.. you need a nylon pry tool. Sorry 'bout the late tip.....
Didn't have a problem with that part (except for the license plate bracket) . Here's the technique I used:

1. Buy box of 12 Fudgscicles.
2. Eat Fudgscicles, save sticks.
3. Press tabs back with flat blade screwdriver.
4. Insert Fudgscicle sticks to hold tabs back as you work around the perimeter of the grill.

·
Registered
613 Posts
mmmmmmm...fudgecicles!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Geezer,
Good post on the fog light install. Got mine in the grill and wired to factory harness but can't locate the connector under the dash. I think they forgot to wire it. I have looked and it just is not there. However did find two bunches of green wires stripped and covered with a clear removable insulator. Could this be the connection without the end??

Thanks,
ditchdoc

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ditchdoc said:
Geezer,
Good post on the fog light install. Got mine in the grill and wired to factory harness but can't locate the connector under the dash. I think they forgot to wire it. I have looked and it just is not there. However did find two bunches of green wires stripped and covered with a clear removable insulator. Could this be the connection without the end??

Thanks,
ditchdoc
Thanks...the switch connector is way up there, taped to the vertical surface of the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Lie on the floor and look up there with a flashlight.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just bought the oem fog light kit. Looks like there is no wiring included in the kit. The wiring is supposed to be already in the car. Does anyone know if this wiring exists in the 2010 XB? I haven't seen a 2010 xb with foglights yet.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ai17828 said:
I just bought the oem fog light kit. Looks like there is no wiring included in the kit. The wiring is supposed to be already in the car. Does anyone know if this wiring exists in the 2010 XB? I haven't seen a 2010 xb with foglights yet.
The lights and switch are pre-wired on the '08, just taped up out of the way. The wiring for the lights is obvious, but you have to hunt for the switch connector. I doubt that Scion would change that detail on newer models. GM might, but not Toyota.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
If you look at the pdf on here: http://www.trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?Mdl_dtl=631&Part_cat=24&parts_id=1571

It is all right there. You pull off the lower part under the steering wheel, find the switch, pop out the far left blank and pop in the switch. It really is a "plug and play" . . .
That is now a possibility for me, once money flows again like I want it to.
THANKS for this thread!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have anyone asked the dealer for a quote on OEM xB2 Fog Lights, plus installation? Do they warrant the lights and labor as well?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just installed mine today. Looks awesome. Difficulty level 1-10, I'd say is a 5. I get my parts from Kent Brown Toyota in NY and I'm in California. So far he's got the best prices.

·
Registered
124 Posts
if you buy aftermarket fogs are you able to hook then up to the wires that are pre ran for the factory ones and how do you turn them off and on

·
Registered
286 Posts
I read on other posts that they encountered some wiring problems with the aftermarket fogs (extra wires and such), which is why I went with oem. Besides, Toyota will not void your warranty if you use oem products.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I purchased mine on eBay through Kent Brown Toyota- around $170 shipped. Through the dealer the lights are $255. There are several versions of fog lights sold on eBay that are not OEM, TRD or Toyota, but claim to be just that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.