1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question, I try to find the answer but I cannot
sorry, I need to ask to you guys

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT857-52080inst.pdf

I was looking to the OEM fog lights instructions, and I think the wire harness is already in the car right ???

because it said just plug here, plug there, and that is it !!
the more difficult part it is to remove the fascia, cut the holes and put it back

so.... if it is already pre-wired......

can I buy just the switch from toyota ??? and use a different fog lights.... right ????

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yes you can. I did that at first. However the OEM wires for the fog lights are pretty thin. I got worried after awhile so later I used the OEM wires to trigger a relay. Now my foglights get their power directly from the battery thru a fused line via the relay.

Maybe if you used 35 watt bulbs (same as the OEM fog lights) it will be OK. But for me I wanted to avoid the chance that my old school fog lights would overlaod the OEM fog light wires.

·
Registered
979 Posts
It's been several years since I put in my oem fogs. The bottom grill just snaps in and out. Jack up the car a bit and see if there is any way to pop it out without removing the front facia. It really isn't to bad to remove the facia though. It took me a while the first time because I was afraid I'd break something. I've had it off a couple of times now and can do it in just a few minutes.

BTW, I think the switch is $50-$60 from the dealer.

·
Registered
846 Posts
My install has been a few years also. I was lucky, I got the lights and switch off of E bay. Everything worked just fine. I did find that you have to be careful, some of the lights are described as "oem style" and are not OEM. They are imitations. Once you take off the front bumper cover, it becomes less difficult to reassemble.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to ebay ..... cannot find the ""OEM"" switch :frown:

looking to the toyota instructions.... said to release each tab with a nylon pry tool..... I'm not sure if I can do it without removing the whole fascia....
but it does sounds easy than removing all the fascia

I will go the dealership next week and ask them how much for the switch only

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've taken my front fascia off literally a dozen times. Here's how:
https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/ht05---rm-front-fascia

I got my OEM fog light switch (part number 84160-12060) from
Toyota Parts Zone - Lowest Price for Genuine Toyota Parts
for $51.10 shipped. The switch is somewhat unique to our cars, so going to a junkyard to find a similar Toyota switch is usually not an option. There's been some postings elsewhere on this forum about a switch from a Tacoma but I've not read confirmation that it fits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.