Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, if I didn't know better, I would swear my front bumper has surface rust! You know ... that pesky little bubbling under the paint that is mushy when you press on it. It looks just like that on my plastic front bumper, and, when combined with the aerodynamics of traveling 80 MPH for roughly 2 hours / day and the salt/sand combination acting as a sandblasting agent, I now have spots! Maybe I should paint then white and go for a "reverse" dalmation look ....

Anybody else encounter this, and if so, what did you do to resolve the issue?

Thanks!

============================
2011 Black Sand Pearl automatic, 20% tint + brow, TRD lowering springs, factory Alpine deck, factory Bazooka powered sub, Drag DR-9 flat black 18" rims with 225/40/18 tires

·
Registered
151 Posts
Can you post some pics?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am working on getting some pics ... not too easy to make out what is going on in the ones that I have taken, due to the car being black and all ... Should have some up by first of next week. Going to talk to the dealer about it on Saturday when I am in for service ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK ... FINALLY got some pics (don't ask ... there has been a LOT going on and some pics that were lost when I transitioned to a new phone). Anyway ... here is the current state of my front bumper paint. The first pic is very similar to how it started (since I lost those pics) with what looked like a surface rust bubble under the paint that started chipping away. The next two pics are what that spot ballooned into due to aero forces and road dirt / spray having a sandblasting effect while driving the interstate at 80+ MPH 100+ miles a day ...

Anyone else have anything similar to this happen to their xB?? Or any knowledge of underlying causes?? There has been NO collision, BTW ...

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
i've got the stone chips on the hood as well but that looks like the primer for the plastic isn't adhearing to it ?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
That's crazy! That should never happen with factory paint.
I agree, it looks like the paint is not adhereing to the plastic.

Judging by your "cheek" vents you have a 2011 or newer car, I'm guessing from your join date it's a 2012. I would check with the dealer, I think this should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, it looks like the paint is not adhereing to the plastic.

Judging by your "cheek" vents you have a 2011 or newer car, I'm guessing from your join date it's a 2012. I would check with the dealer, I think this should be covered under warranty.

BrickPig, its a 2011 that I picked up pre-owned in Sept 2013 ... What is the factory warranty period on these vehicles anyway? I have an extended warranty from when I purchased the car, but I am fairly positive that it would not cover the paint as they usually don't.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
What is the factory warranty period on these vehicles anyway? I have an extended warranty from when I purchased the car, but I am fairly positive that it would not cover the paint as they usually don't.
The Scion xB standard warranty is 36 months/36000 miles, whichever comes first. They also have a 60 months/unlimited miles on corrosion perforation of sheet metal. Although this isn't sheet metal, it's paint, and paint should not peel like this after only 3 years. Also you have an extended warranty (but coverages vary).

I'd still take it with the dealer and if you can't get satisfaction then take it up with Scion.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Holy ****. When I read the first post, I was thinking I would have to look hard to see something. Definitely make someone fix that for you. Hopefully it's under the factory warranty. Check that and get it in ASAP either way! That is ridiculous. Someone (or some robot?) had a serious hangover in the factory in Japan that day. Maybe they screwed up the paint, or maybe there was something with the plastic surface. It's just peeling off, not adhered to the plastic at all. Driving 80mph everyday or sand/salt has nothing to do with this.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys! I wasn't sure if this was a known issue or not, and it appears (based on you-all's reactions) that is most definitely is NOT a common issue ... I am going to stop by the dealership this Saturday, since they are closed by the time that I get by there on weeknights, and see what I can get done. It is a 2011 and has 39k on it, so not too far out of factory warranty ....

Based on the fact that I spent approx. $35k there in a matter of a week between my xB and the wife's Prius, and that was only 9 months ago, I would hope that we can come to some sort of agreement on this ...

I will keep you all updated! Thanks for the feedback ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy ****. When I read the first post, I was thinking I would have to look hard to see something ....
hikingmike, you would have had too look hard when I first posted this ... that first pic of the lower grille is how it all started. The other 2 pics are how far it has progressed in that amount of time from my first post on the topic to now ...

****, I may end up with a totally flat, primer gray vehicle by the time it is all said and done :laugh:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update on the bumper situation ...

Stopped into the dealer on Sat 6/14 and was told that I had to talk to the service manager, who was gone for the day. Called the service manager on Monday and left a voicemail for her to contact me as I needed to know when she would be available to look at my vehicle, given that I could not get there until about 15 minutes prior to their closing. Got a voicemail back from the service manager on Tuesday and stopped in to see her that night ....

She promptly looked at my bumper and said "Oh wow ..." and then proceeded to tell me that she has been there for 3 years now, and until the last 3-4 months had never see this issue, but that she has seen it 4-5 times in the last 4 months. Then she said that mine was the first that she had seen where the paint was coming off the front emblem too (it was black). She took numerous pictures and said that she would have to contact her regional manager from Toyota, and would get back with me ... but that it shouldn't be a problem, even though I have 39,000+ miles on the car, since I routinely get my service done there.

I gave it Wednesday and had not heard from her, so I called her on Thursday. She stated that she had sent the pics to her regional manager and was waiting to hear back from them on this, but again reassured me that it won't be an issue to get this taken care of. So ..... I am waiting .....

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
yes, good luck. hopefully the regional manager will be just as understanding

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.