Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a few rides that have a black or carbon fiber look on the front bumper that makes the whole front end look dark all together. What are yall wrapping it with? or is it something different you are placing on the cars? It gives it a real nice tough look.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I see a few rides that have a black or carbon fiber look on the front bumper that makes the whole front end look dark all together. What are yall wrapping it with? or is it something different you are placing on the cars? It gives it a real nice tough look.
It's just vinyl. A few people have had good luck spraying plasti-dip on it too. Either way it will peel off if you don't like it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Also what lights are yall adding to the skinny areas on the outer edges of your bumpers?? They look like LED's to me.
Assuming you have the 08-10 xB (based on your question about the black vinyl between the upper and lower grills) There are a few options for vent lights. I have these from Oznium. They are a bit expensive at $130. Once I convinced myself to spend the money on them I'm glad I did. The black inserts snap out and these snap in their place.

Then there are some like these on eBay. They are much cheaper at $45. I believe that you buy some auto body trim tape and tape them to the black parts.

Still others (mostly the 2011+ crowd who can't find ready-made lights) have made their own buy buying individual leds and drilling/mounting them to the black bumper inserts.

In all cases, you have to buy a switch and wire them up. That isn't really a big deal though.

·
Registered
266 Posts
1) I have the large part of the bumper in vinyl and my lip is Plasti-Dip. Personnaly, I prefer the Plasti-Dip since it has a matte finish and I can put as many coats as I like for more protection.

2) As Zinger said, Oznium made a Vent lights for the 08-10 xB, but for the 11+ there isn't a viable and rather cheap option, yet :p

The 2013 Scion xB has vent lights from factory, so maybe the OEM parts will be buyable from our dealers :fingercrossed:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Ok, now I have to wonder how many 11+ xB's have the bumper blacked out and I didn't notice. I'll have to start paying more attention.

I believe I read somewhere (SL?) that the 2013 vent lights from Toyota were hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Hmmm a spray on plasti dip. Sounds kinda risky, I'll have to look into it. The vinyl might be a safer bet for me. I'll see.

Thanks for the info.
Actually, Plasti-dip is like a rubber coating. If you don't like it, you can just peel it off. In fact when you mask, you have to pull the tape off before it dries or you risk peeling up all your work.

Check out this youtube vid of a guy peeling plasti-dip off a whole car!

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
I've yet to see plasti-dip in any store . . .
Wanna try it!

·
Registered
979 Posts
I bought mine at Lowes and Home Depot. When I asked in the store, I was told they didn't carry it (I don't think the guy really knew what I was talking about). But I found it on my own in the spray paint aisle. You might find the part number on their website and take it in the store with you.

11 oz. Plasti Dip Black Rubber Coating Spray-11203-6 at The Home Depot

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh i'm so going to HOme Depot and see if they have a can or 2. I wanna practice with it. Maybe do the lower back bumber where dirt always ends up. Maybe even get creative and do the whole back end taped off and make it match the front of the car. Did yall eye ball the measurements I'm guessing? I hope I wouldn't make it crooked lol.

I do this and I know all my buddies are gonna want me to do this on theres.

How long should I let it sit in? In the garage or outside in the elements?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I haven't done my front bumper yet. Used it to paint the body parts that showed through the grill. It looks much cleaner now.

I plan to do vinyl on my bumper though only because I take my xB to a carwash (hand not - machine). Plasti-dip pulls off and I'm afraid they may accidentally tear it off when scrubbing the bumper. If I washed it myself, I would know to be careful and would probably spray it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.