Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much good would a front strut bar really do on a daily driver?

Is it only for taking corners at higher speeds on a track or mountain roads? Will it decrease body roll in everyday driving at all?

I live in the city, only 4 miles away from school. I don't see it doing much good for me, but I'm curious...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I personally put the strut bar for looks. I don't feel the difference but it looks goooooooood :naughty:

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
As on some cars, it is useless. On others, it makes a notable difference.
What they "do" is put a brace/lock between the top of the strut towers together and have them move together. The idea is to prevent structural flex. The reason it makes little difference in some cars is that the top of the mount is structurally solid and "locked" into the body shell itself, as it s in the Gen 1/NA Miata (it is also a completely different suspension design from a FWD vehicle). On others, the strut towers are more structurally isolated and have much more flex of the metal around them when cornering.

The xB is somewhere in between. The towers are pretty close to the firewall and there is a pretty good structural connection around them. As such, I wasn't expecting much, so it was pretty low on my list of parts to get. However, I won a TRD one at a show (basically). So, I installed it and was surprised at how "tighter" it make the steering and front suspension feel. So, it does make a decent difference and not just for looks. But, it isn't as big as on many other vehicles.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Parkers09xB said:
How much good would a front strut bar really do on a daily driver?

Is it only for taking corners at higher speeds on a track or mountain roads? Will it decrease body roll in everyday driving at all?
It has no effect on body roll at all, sway bars and springs act on that. The strut brace is to increase rigidity of the front chassis, thereby helping stabilize steering geometry during turns.

·
Registered
21 Posts
well ive got the trd strut bar, lowering springs, and the anit-sway bar kit as well, and ive noticed a tremendous difference! i can take corners in 3rd gear doing 35-45 mph. Now it also makes a difference with the size wheels your running and the type of tires you have wrapped around them. im running Nitto NT555's and the grip extremely well. perfect for cornering. id recommend the springs and anti-sway bar first.

all in all my friend, my main benifit out of my strut bar was that it really saved my car from getting totaled when i hit a sitting car doing about 35-40. i thought my front end was done, but it kept it stiff and only damaged the core the most. i feel like if i didnt have it the damage would have been much much greater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.