Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 xB only goes about 285 miles on a tank of gas. Whet gets close to empty (and the range gets down to 15 miles or so) I fill it up. But the most gas I've been able to get in it is 11 gallons. So I'm thinking I've still got around three gallons left when it is showing close to empty and the range is running out. Anyone else have a problem with their fuel gauge being inaccurate? Is it a common problem with xB's?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
314 Posts
So when the it says you have 50 miles left before the tank is empty its really an additonal 75 miles on top of that?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
thats the way the system is designed...to err on the side of caution so consumers dont rely on the info the dash is telling them and then run out of gas and send nasty letters to Scion. i commonly get 350+ from a tank and rarely put more then 13 gallons in.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
i pay less attention to the gauge and more attention to my current mpgs and miles driven on the tank. it is a learned method developed over the 200k miles Ive driven the xB2s.

Once the fuel light comes on I know I have 3 gallons left which in turn equates to about 90 miles. I am comfortable driving my vehicle in this manner and have never ran out of gas. Do not attempt if you are not similarly comfortable.

That is the second time I've heard someone mention the fuel pump running hot on an empty tank in the last few weeks. It seems a bit absurd to me to think Toyota would put all these other safeguards in place and then leave it up to the consumer to know he/she needs to keep 2 gallons in the tank to keep the pump cool.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That is the second time I've heard someone mention the fuel pump running hot on an empty tank in the last few weeks. It seems a bit absurd to me to think Toyota would put all these other safeguards in place and then leave it up to the consumer to know he/she needs to keep 2 gallons in the tank to keep the pump cool.
I was told years ago, that electric Fuel Pumps depend on the fuel through them, to keep cool. If you let them run out of gas, it's not that they get hot and burn the car down.... It's that they burn up the motor in the pump, or the pump siezes due to lack of cooling/lubrication..... Just another point of view. This is one of those items that's a costly repair for something so simple.... just keep gas in the car and don't run it way below empty and you'll probably be good for 200k miles or more anyway.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I filled mine up last week (3rd tank) after the gas light came on. I was only able to put 11 gallons in it.

WTF???

So I stood there for another 10 minutes squeezing another almost 3 gallons in it, to 13.79 gallons.

Do any of you have this same issue?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I filled mine up last week (3rd tank) after the gas light came on. I was only able to put 11 gallons in it.

WTF???

So I stood there for another 10 minutes squeezing another almost 3 gallons in it, to 13.79 gallons.

Do any of you have this same issue?
In my experience all cars do that occasionally. Most days I fill it until the handle shuts itself off. Sometimes it shuts off every 10-20 seconds. I imagine it is some combination of how much fuel (fumes) is in the tank, the temperature, and the sensitivity of the auto shut-off valve on the pump.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In my experience all cars do that occasionally. Most days I fill it until the handle shuts itself off. Sometimes it shuts off every 10-20 seconds. I imagine it is some combination of how much fuel (fumes) is in the tank, the temperature, and the sensitivity of the auto shut-off valve on the pump.
On the 2nd fill up, I noticed that the amount I put in also didn't jive with the mileage, and the ALLEGED 14 gal capacity of the tank

·
Registered
36 Posts
i thought i was the only one haha. i have the same issue. i use chevron 91 always and seems to last me about 260-270 miles before the "empty" light comes on. and when that light comes on, it always seems to be at about 24 miles until empty. and when i fill it up it only take about 10-11 gallons. andi dont drive fast, i shift each gear at low revs, about 2.5-3k rpm.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i thought i was the only one haha. i have the same issue. i use chevron 91 always and seems to last me about 260-270 miles before the "empty" light comes on. and when that light comes on, it always seems to be at about 24 miles until empty. and when i fill it up it only take about 10-11 gallons. andi dont drive fast, i shift each gear at low revs, about 2.5-3k rpm.
No need in psending the extra coin on the 91 unless you just like to.... These cars are not rated to require it from the factory, and unless you've done sme serious engine mods, not gonna ever require it.

I use Chevron and Texaco exclusively, and get almost 350 per tank, regularly....

To the above complaints of the pump stopping long before the 14 gallon fill up, That's pretty normal... They give you a low fuel light at about 2 gallons left, to help keep people from burning up fuel pumps while running them dry.... I often run mine for an extra 20 miles after the light comes on.... Not everyone should do this.... Just trust your instincts and listen to your fears... no one wants to buy a new fuel pump for any newer model car.... They're WAY high priced and not much more than a toy RC car motor with a pump attached.

Also another thing I've noticed about the pump shutting off constantly while filling, is when the wind is blowing pretty hard, it does it twice as much or more. The pump shut of mechanism is evidently pressure sensitive....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.