Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've owned an XB Gen2 for the last 3 and a half years. I've just sold her, but she will always be one of my best car purchases of my life! I'm am really going to miss her. The only reason I sold is because I either wanted something bigger (a true truck) or something smaller (a 2 seater sports car). To make sure I parted ways with her right, I wrote a very detailed review of my ownership experience on my new car blog RallyWays.

I've met some great people here and it would only be fitting to share the review with you. I'd appreciate any positive comments on the blog. Please share the article on Facebook, Twitter and any other social sites you might be in. The site is new and could really use a good push.

By the way... The photos were all shot with a Canon 7D

THANKS!!! -Danny- Below is a link to the story...

New 2008-2012 Scion XB Reviews by RallyWays – 3 Year Experience ? RallyWays

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks for the review Danny. I also have the HTM, mine is an '09 and will be 3 yrs. old on the 22nd with 11,350 miles on it. I agree totally with your conclusions. Your mod's have only improved the looks of a basically modern design. I really like the wheels and seats. A job well done!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the good words guys. I always found XB forums to be VERY friendly. I'm missing her a lot. I'm still in honeymoon stage with my new car (got a 2011 MX5) but I'm sad to say the MX5 forums are not as friendly. Oh well. Plenty of great guys, but too many bitter old men as well.

I wish I had done the XB mods earlier, when I first got her. I only did the mods last year, so I got to enjoy them for only a year. For my new car I'm going to do a little different... I intend to do the mods I want early on, so I can enjoy them for the whole time I own the car.

@Dale - I see you don't drive long distances very often. Most XB's are chock full of miles after 3 years. Mine was considered low miles at 33,000 after 3.5 years. I only drive 10,000 miles a year.

@Phobic - It's been a while. Hope all is well. Yeah, I can definitely encourage anybody to buy one of these. I honestly think its one of the best cars out there for the price. Even the interiors... I haven't come across a sub $20K car with nicer interiors than the XB. You know of any?

By the way... I'm happy to post other XB owner's photos on the review page. I'd love to included some heavily modded ones to complement mine. I'm sure you have some great hi-res photos. Would you mind sending me a few? If so... please send them to eluviis AT hotmail dot com.

Thanks, D

·
Registered
741 Posts
Nicely written review. Nice looking xB2. I have the '09 and only have 11,200 miles.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Funny, I read your post this morning, but didn't have time to post. I was going to recommend that you decide if you want cargo or handling. Unless you want a HUGE truck (lengthwise), you'd need a long cab to get anything but a 2-seater and still have a large cargo bay. A shortbed really isn't significantly bigger than your xB was w/ the seats down.
Unless your in the country, get EITHER a long-cab/short-bed or a short-cab/long bed. A long-cab, long bed is simply too long to be of use in an urban environment.
I was raised in Atlanta and now live in the truck-happy country-part of South Carolina.

Now, I was going to recommend a Mazda MX-5 (Miata) if you were looking into sports cars. Mazda has done an amazing job at keeping it true to the original vision, without it getting big and bloated (large and overweight, as it went "upscale") with progressive generations. The new ones are only bigger where newer safety standards require it an Mazda has worked HARD to keep weight and relative costs down. It is a BLAST to drive! (Any gen Miata/MX-5)
I have a 90 (an "early 90/89 model) one that is now impersonating a 1960s Team Lotus race-track street refugee. I LOVE it!

If you were seriously looking into a truck, I would recommend a Toyota Tacoma, or it's earlier pre-Tacoma-named incarnation. They are AMAZING for durability. I'll put it this way, I love in the country part of South Carolina and am literally surrounded by pick-up trucks. It isn't uncommon for me to be in my B or Miata and be the ONLY non-truck in a pack. Even in a red-neck "Buy American" haven, the HARDEST used pick-up to find is a Tacoma! Even people with an "American" (US-branded, even if some of the "Japanese" ones are actually more American-made than them) trucks often also own a Toyota one that they wouldn't get rid of and use for actual off-roading and hunting. It's their REAL off-road and "play" truck, while the American beast is their "commuter" and "pretty" one.
I was once looking for a used one that I thought I could find for a few grand, to supplement my Miata and B. Basically, for real-users-> ie. where real "country-boys" actually USE them as trucks<- you CAN'T find one without paying WAY too much! I would have to go to Atlanta or Charlotte and look into a city-lot to find a half-way decent deal and get an urban/suburban one that was used by people that don't actually need a real-truck . . .
In the country, used Tacomas simply aren't available for a good deal! Yet, they are EVERYWHERE. That says more about what makes a "good truck" than anything I know of.

Now, I read, you got an 2011 MX-5! Details, man DETAILS!!

-Tartan Jack
-- Member of Miata Club of America and, then, Miata Owner's Group, until each bellied up.
Also, I HIGHLY recommend R-Speed (at rspeed.net) for parts. Tell Joe that the Lotus-Miata in South Carolina recommended you to him . . . they are GREAT!

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Thanks for the good words guys. I always found XB forums to be VERY friendly. I'm missing her a lot. I'm still in honeymoon stage with my new car (got a 2011 MX5) but I'm sad to say the MX5 forums are not as friendly. Oh well. Plenty of great guys, but too many bitter old men as well.
[snip]
That's sad . . .
Miata.net used to be a great place to be. I was once a HUGE part of that place. But, I feel-off years ago. Gordon, Pops, and a few of the older members were/are great guys. I was "Lotus-Head" and "Miotus" on it over the years. They should still remember me.
I have to say, in their defense, that a lot of the newer members seem to be hot-head kids who don't listen to the advise of those who have been around Miatas for 20+ years (like I have). OR, they are older guys (and gals) that come over from Porsches or some other "sports car" and think they know more than the older established members and act like arrogant jerks.
As such, both groups end up bringing back up the same battles, year after year after year. When I tried to go back on Miata.net a while back, I was shocked at how redundant a lot of the posts were and how newer members talked past each other and ignored or even made fun of established forum members. I was attacked, only to have old friends defend me and point out that I was a returning member who once had thousands and thousands of posts that have gradually dropped off through trims of software upgrades and host moves. Anyways, I didn't stay around and life got be distracted (as did all the time I spent here).

I'm tempted to request a special section for xB/Miata owners, as there is a HUGE number of us on here. Or, ones that at least have owned Miatae in the past or present and have an xB now. In that one, we can also discuss Miata stuff . . . :biggrin:
(Not sure how that would fly, actually :rolleyes: )

Don't be a stranger. Remember that I am a HUGE Miata fan too. So, you are welcome to still hang around . . .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahaha. Great reply man.

Ok, let me summarize my reply a bit, otherwise it'll be 3 times longer than yours...

1. Yes, what I originally wanted was a Taco. The XB is plenty big for me alone, but now I need to be able to carry 4 people AND stuff. I didn't buy a new Tacoma because I don't like the current 6-speed manual and I don't drive automatics. I got tired of waiting for the new engine and hopefully improved tranny. Which left me a bit bummed. But... That's when the sports car idea came in. How about a sports car AND an old truck instead of a new one? ...

2. I was looking at other sports cars, but all of them would be too much money. Buying the MX5 allows me to also buy an old used truck as well. So that's what I did.

If you go back to RallyWays you'll see there's a review of a 2011 PRHT MX5 there. It's the review from back when I first test drove the car in summer 2011. (Disclaimer - I talk a lot of crap about the previous MX5 versions in that review. But it's all in good journalism fun - I still like them and I would still like to own one for track purposes). I always wanted one after that day, but the right opportunity to buy it never came around, until now!

So yes, I had the XB ready to sell. Had a bit of money for a down as well... So I searched around and found out that I really wanted an NC2 - (MX5 2009-2012). Used 2009's where very hard to find with my requirements (Suspension package with LSD). And the 2010's were more expensive than the 2011's because Mazda had a $3,000 dealer incentive on leftover MX5's. So, with help of a new found friend who sells for a Mazda dealership, we tracked down a leftover 2011 Power Retractable Hard Top Touring with the Suspension Package I wanted. It even had a cool appearance package to boot.

So... bottom line, with the Mazda incentive, I got it for $6K under MSRP. Just about how much a used 2010 would've cost. And this one had 40 miles on the clock!

I'm still babying it and it only has 600 miles. So the RPM needle has yet to go over 3500RPM. Given that the only other MX5 I've driven was the new one I reviewed in June, it's safe to say I have never redlined a Miata. For what I hear, I'm in for a treat!

Once I get to know her better, a proper updated review is due.

Check out the pic of her I took after spending 10 hours detailing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good man,

Yeah, I was flamed pretty bad when I set up a thread for my car build. The thread got completely derailed and it's a mess right now. But I intend to go back and set some those guys (the mean ones) straight.

I did piss a few guys off for things I said in that review I mentioned about about the NA and NB. But... What they didn't get is that I'm writing in a "car journalist" tone. And as huge fan of Top Gear, THAT'S how they compare cars sometimes. Bashing at them even if they like them.

I'm a big fan of the entire back end of the NB. I think it looks a lot better than the NC in that regards. I always liked the NA and would love either of them. But I do know there is a lot more that went wrong with that thread way beyond my bashing comments of the NA and NB in my original review.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
The 1.6 NA is a nit different than the rest. The power/weight is actually very similar to the other ones, even with the smaller engine. It's the lightest of them and many NA and NB parts are interchangeable.
That means, you can take the lighest chassis, then "uprate" specific pieces with items from the later, heavier ones.
Mine is an "early 90," with a 2000 1.6 replacement engine in it (went from "short nose crank" to "long nose crank"), a rebuilt 90 tranny (that came w/ a lightened flywheel and short shifter), 1.8-sized front and rear brakes, 97 seats (bigger side bolsters) wrapped in red Katzkins, 2001 limited-slip diff, Racing Beat header & exhaust, early prod. DDM intake, Hard Dog Deuce bar (first production one sold), and more. The paint is Lotus Racing Green with a wide Lotus Racing Yellow stripe (after the original white paint fell off). I also have replica Talbot mirrors on custom made mounts (so no holes drilled in the body, just using the stock mirror holes.
The suspension is stock springs, w/ Konis dropped 1/4 inch (a PERFECT drop on an NA), with Racing Beat sways. I'm running R Speed's Chapperal Mini-lite based rims (15" in black w/ polished lip) w/ BF Goodrich G-Force Sport rubber.
The interior is largely KG Works stuff, custom gauges (w/ look like the old Smiths gauges), some Mike Satur stuff from the UK, modded "Cobra"/Brit car OEM-replacement parts (from Cobra Restorers and Moss), Voodoo knob, and some truly custom one-off stuff.
Overall, it looks a HECK of a lot like a classic British race-track car on the road, specifically as if one mixed a Lotus 25/33 F1 car with a Lotus Elan, plus smoothed them out a bit. I've even been routed in the "Lotus slots at British car shows, only to decline and go no the "visitors" area. The classic-Lotus owners love it. Newer-model owners are more mixed on it, esp. Esprit and Elise ones. Some love it (how "get it"), others . . . not so much.
It is actually intended as in memory/honor of Scotsman Jim Clark -raced 1961-1968-, who was THE dominant F1 driver in the mid 1960s. He one 2 championships in his only 8 years racing F1, plus SHOULD have had 2 more, if the rules counted points more logically and fairly . . . He DID dominate almost every race and it was his or whoever was second when his Lotus broke (which it often did, and even then he often finished well). His "comfortable lead" was 45 seconds . . . which he maintained precisely. I could go on and on. But, that's not for this forum or thread. If you don't know who Jim Clark is, look him up!
This green/yellow scheme is that most closely associated with him, much like the McLaren's red and white Marlboro one is associated with Aryton Senna decades later.

Let's say . . . it's no stock . . . not anymore . . .
But, it's AWESOME for driving, esp. on mountain twisties. Which is my goal, anyways.
I can't race it in SCCA Solo events. It's not set up well for the class structures and is classed with dedicated solo cars, but it's a mountain car rather than an autocross set-up one.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Now that there are batteries in my camera again, I will. I need to get updated ones of the B as well . . .

·
Registered
29 Posts
As a 3 time mx5 owner (each generation). I just had to chime in on this thread. Actually sold my 08 SE to get the B. I think each car represents great value. And the pinnacle of reliability in their classes. You cant go wrong with either of them. You can check out my old ride here

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^^ Very nice SE!

It's been 5 months more or less since I did the trade - and I have an update...

I've fallen in love with the little MX5 and I love it. I don't regret the purchase one bit and I'd do it all over again - Except for one important detail: I would've kept the B as well! I soooo regret trading it. I should've just kept it too. I miss that car so much.

When I traded it I was keen on buying an older 4x4 to go alongside the MX5. But, 4x4's are sooooo expensive. I'm finding that most 4x4's like the types I'm looking for (4Runner, Tacoma, Frontier, etc) that are around the same value as my XB was worth, have well over 100,000 miles. And my XB only had 33,000 when I sold it (and I had babied that engine since new).

Maybe when I find the truck I'm looking for I'll be happy. But right now, I really miss my B. I love my MX5, but it's a car I originally didn't want to drive every single day anyway. We'll see what happens in the next few months. Maybe I'll find my truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.