Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after being on the forums for a little bit, ive noticed that there are so many of you guys looking for a stealthbox type option that gives you a subwoofer and doesnt take space. now the one made by JL audio costs $650. I want to see if the community here would be interested in having one fabricated and available. the cost for the box would be around $399, which is considerably less than the stealthbox and you have the option to put whatever sub you want and the option to have it ported or not. these are things that arent offered by JL, and i feel I could offer to you guys and be unique. I would need a minimum of 5 orders with a deposit ($100) to start the project and would have about a 2 week lead time after the deposits have been made. The reasoning behind the deposit is that I dont want to go through the trouble of getting a person to let me use the XB for a prototype, take the time and effort to make it, and have no interested buyers. The refund is non-refundable, so be sure it is something you want before you go through with everything. upon receipt of final payment, your item will be shipped out and it can be sent loaded and ready to go using any of the 10" subs on my site, and i am going to be carrying kicker, pioneer and kenwood within the next couple days, so anything from them would be available. I may be able to do a solobaric option as well with these. So lets get some deposits and get this rolling!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
dont get me wrong it sounds like a great idea. i got my ported box for 150 nd im pretty satisfied for now. a stealth box on each side on the other hand would look great with your amp in the middle

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya, thats a LOT of work tho, which wouldnt be very cost effective. i mean depending on demand i can work with the price, to make it cost effective for everyone. my design would be just like the JL box, you could put whatever sub you wanted in it, and is $200 less than what they charge. sounds like a win win to me.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I would be interested, as I like the idea of cargo space, but I'm already set on audio. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BUMP for some interest! 106 page views.... whats up. what about an intro offer as a group buy for you guys? 99 dep and 99 on delivery. total would be $200 its a great deal!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it kills when i dont have one, i know. the item would be identical to the JL piece. the back molded and the front flat. with your choice of ported or sealed. it would come wrapped in carpeting and wired ready to go.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Thanks for adding the photo Phobic!

It needs to be a few inches shorter so all of us rs6 owners with the cargo shelves can still use it. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i could do that to have one on each side, of course it would be a little more due to materials, and zinger, what do you mean exactly, the top has to be lower? the best it could be is the line where the carpet on the back of the seat ends, otherwise there wouldnt be enough space to put the speaker in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not trying to rain on your parade here, but....there is already a place making sub boxes for both passenger and driver sides in 8", 10" and 12" options. They are all about $200/each with free shipping. I am not associated with them and have not ordered yet, but am considering it. I really want something like the JL stealthbox, but like others, do not want to pay $650.

Do you have ideas that will make your sub box unique? I like the sealed/ported options you've mentioned. As Phobic said, a pic of your general idea (not necessarily a completed box) would be very helpful for people to visualize what you are considering building. Or, are you going to build it exactly like the JL box that has been pictured?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
IF it was a "plug and play" to match the factory wiring harness- kinda like the Bazooka one but more powerful- still allow the spare, foam storage area and door/cover, etc, it would have a market. A built-in adapter kit for the "standard" speaker wiring, amp connection to tie into the factory harness and all the needed wiring to power it all would be a big "unique" differentiator from the other units.
Why?
A number of people who buy Scions have them as their first "modding" vehicle and/or mod in a way different than their previous car. So, they don't have the experience to create a system or know what "support" pieces (all non-speaker and headunit parts) are necessary to create a powerful system. Many also operate from a relatively small budget, so a "West Coast Customs"-style job isn't possible on the available budget.
Here would be an ideal 3-step selling option:
1. A full-on plug-and-play system (includes amp, speakers, etc)
2. A "framework" box that includes all the is needed to mount everything, EXCEPT the amp and speakers. Includes all the wiring, connectors, and the like.
3. A "stripped down," bare-bones box-set that has the sell, but no wiring.

1 would be for the basic owner who knows little about building a unit, but wants one.
2 would be for a general DYI-er who can do the work, but doesn't have the experience specifically with creating audio-systems. However, they may have loads of experience w/ general car customizing.
3 would be for someone (like Phobic, for example) who HAS created stuff before, known the market, what and how to do it, but wants the framework so that don't have to do-it-themselves fully.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the input and i will def look into the "plug and play" possibilities. looks like i need to come up with some items that will make it different from the others.

·
Registered
658 Posts
IF it was a "plug and play" to match the factory wiring harness- kinda like the Bazooka one but more powerful- still allow the spare, foam storage area and door/cover, etc, it would have a market. A built-in adapter kit for the "standard" speaker wiring, amp connection to tie into the factory harness and all the needed wiring to power it all would be a big "unique" differentiator from the other units.
Why?
A number of people who buy Scions have them as their first "modding" vehicle and/or mod in a way different than their previous car. So, they don't have the experience to create a system or know what "support" pieces (all non-speaker and headunit parts) are necessary to create a powerful system. Many also operate from a relatively small budget, so a "West Coast Customs"-style job isn't possible on the available budget.
Here would be an ideal 3-step selling option:
1. A full-on plug-and-play system (includes amp, speakers, etc)
2. A "framework" box that includes all the is needed to mount everything, EXCEPT the amp and speakers. Includes all the wiring, connectors, and the like.
3. A "stripped down," bare-bones box-set that has the sell, but no wiring.

1 would be for the basic owner who knows little about building a unit, but wants one.
2 would be for a general DYI-er who can do the work, but doesn't have the experience specifically with creating audio-systems. However, they may have loads of experience w/ general car customizing.
3 would be for someone (like Phobic, for example) who HAS created stuff before, known the market, what and how to do it, but wants the framework so that don't have to do-it-themselves fully.
F*cking brilliant. Exactly how it should've been/should be done.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would definitely be interested but like zinger said... it would be nice if we can still retain the use of the OEM Cargo cover... do you think that is possible? because that is the only thing holding me back from buying the JL Stealthbox... let us know and im sure a lot of people would be interested.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.