Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I hate the orange and want to replace the orange LED's in the Gauge cluster with white one. However the I think the orange LED's are around 1500 MCD in brightess while the the white ones I want to order are 2500 MCD. I'm concerned they will be so bright that dimming them to a reasonable level will turn off the rest of the interior lights (not planning on changing the rest of the lights right now.

Here is my new gauge template.

Any opinions, suggestions or experience you can share?

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eviljack said:
Hey man love the new gauge template. Sorry I can't offer up any info on the LCD's. I have an educated guess, but its probably me just talking out of my ***.
Thanks. SVCSCIONS is going to print it for me when I finally get around to doing it. I want my gauges to look like EL backlit. Any experience, even if you've just seen white leds on a 08-09 xB I'd like to know about it.

· Registered
2,209 Posts
Well the thing is that Orange and White have different wave lengths. A orange or red light at the same brightness as a white light doesn't appear to give off the same amount of light. So while they might appear to be really bright they are just lighting up the display better. So I don't think it will be that bad. I know there is a better way to explain it I just can't think of the right words now.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get what you saying. Because our eyes are have different sensitivity to different wavelengths of light you can't compare the LED's apparent brightness by the MCD rating. In other words, our eyes are probably less sensitive to white LED light so they have to be brighter. I hope :confused:

· Registered
6 Posts
Well i got my LED's from ebay just type in SCION XB LED KIT GAUGE CLUSTER 2008, make a best offer of $10. I chose white leds and let me tell you these are just beautiful. Im working on replacing the oem gauge.

Pics of mine

Before

After

Night

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey guy's, i just got my scion xb, 09!! It's driving great, and scoots!

Was this installation easy? I'm looking at getting blue, and putting it in (those lower wavelengths ;)

How do you get to those lights?

· Registered
339 Posts
MountScion85xb said:
Nice dude loving the white led you know if they have them in green?
They do just search for them on ebay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.