Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an unknown body kit on the xB, and want to install a 2 inch reciever so I can use a bicycle rack.

Looking at the rear portion of the body kit, it has a seam in the middle where the receiver should be positioned, or does it go below?

This can not be the first time this has been encounter on a Gen 1 box...

JR

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: nice photo found on Google of another xB with bicycle rack installed.

I am scheduled to have UHaul hitch installed on August 6th... I am still wondering if the body kit will need to be cut on the seam...

Then to find bicycle rack I like from Craigslist. Will be nice to have a rack instead of taking a wheel off to transport my carbon Road bicycle about in the xB...

JR

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
The Curt 11487 requires no cutting and is super easy to install (5 bolts - you can do it yourself in a few minutes). Amazon has it for $132.12 right now: http://www.amazon.com/114873-Class-Trailer-Hitch-Old-Style/dp/B000842AAQ. Here's how it mounts:

You're not going to find many 2 inch receivers since those are made for cars with much higher towing capacity, but you can get a 1.25" to 2" adapter for a few bucks if really needed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Paul1114,

I have few tools and no place other than the non level city streets to work on my xB. I realize I paid extra for something that I could have done easily a few years ago, but tis installed and you must look carefully to see it is there.

Yes will need the 2 inch adapter, for the bicycle rack...

JR

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got an Allen 3 bicycle rack, has a 2 inch adapter, that I took off, and used the 1 1/4 to fit in the receiver. Very sloppy fit, I was completely blown away, beyond amazed. Looks like it needs some shims inside the receiver or metal added to the tongue on the bike rack (welding) that can be worked for a solid fit. Do not know who to blame, the receiver is not sized correctly or the Allen Cycling Carrier is poorly manufactured.

Either case, it is unacceptable to carry an expensive bicycle. Guess this needs to be checked by a metal worker friend, as I will not use this rack for my good bicycle until it fits correctly without a 8 inch sway of the unit. I was told by UHaul that all bicycle racks have some play, but currently it is unacceptable.

The drama continues.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Metal worker friend drilled another hole in reciever, I now with two bolts in the receiver, it holds the bicycle rack properly as I expected when first installed. Recent trip of 1,000 miles in California, bicycle stayed on the cycling rack properly. Really enjoy driving the xB, it is a perfect transportation for me, does 80 easily on freeway, slows to 70 on long inclines, but still gets 33+ average millage on short or longer trips.

I road the Orbea Orca bicycle several times in North Modesto, and did 25 miles in Solvang exploring the tourist area, and 100 miles along the coastline near LA.

Had a good trip to California, next is Sedona, AZ in a week or two. Have never ridden a bicycle in AZ, so maybe Sedona is a good place to have a early morning ride, now the temperatures are cooling off in the Southwest.

November 7th, will be in Las Vegas for the "Ride 2 Recovery Honor Ride-Las Vegas" An amazing bicycle ride.
2015 HR LV 70 - A bike ride in Hughes Center, NV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.