Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to put a light in my glove box. I understand the problems with the glove box comming off and all, and it would need a switch in the box so light would not be on all the time. Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw you’re post on this, on another site. So you have to push the light on and off right? My plan is to use some led’s (mount them same place you did with 3m tape) most likely from Oznium with a mounted pin switch in the front of the box molding, so the light would turn off when closed. I plan getting power from same wire that powers illuminated doorsills and ground is right there also. The trick for me right now is finding the right pin switch to use, it would have to be almost a surface mount so the box could close right.

·
Registered
528 Posts
rollaball said:
I saw you’re post on this, on another site. So you have to push the light on and off right? My plan is to use some led’s (mount them same place you did with 3m tape) most likely from Oznium with a mounted pin switch in the front of the box molding, so the light would turn off when closed. I plan getting power from same wire that powers illuminated doorsills and ground is right there also. The trick for me right now is finding the right pin switch to use, it would have to be almost a surface mount so the box could close right.
I personally think that would be the 100% correct way to do this. When I first read your first post, I immediately thought the use of a pin switch. I'd imagine any type of pin switch would work fine. The smaller and more descreet, the better.

And also, this is a great idea! I can't wait to see the outcome!

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
A pin switch is a older mechanical switch used on older vehicle glove boxes. I'd do that, but also include a sliding on/off switch as a way to cut it off when working with the glove box open.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Battery operated lights (LED) sounds good to me. NO mod needed!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I finally got back this one. I used a pin switch from BMW and their connecters wires (the green ones in the photos) with a stick on led light from Oznium. To add the glove box light. I T-tapped the same pink wire for the 12 volt hot that that the door sills use and used the ground bolt for the ground. I also added in line fuse just in case problems. The only hard part was making square hole for the switch to sit in with drill and my rotary tool.

·
Registered
2008 xB
566 Posts
Nice.

Does the glovebox door fit flush when it's closed or does the switch bezel make it stick out a little?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dude that looks great!!! 8)

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
That looks QUITE good! Any more detail on the wiring?
I might try that . . .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The pin switch does sit flush when the glove box is shut. It took me little time to find the BMW pin switch that did just that. I looked a lot switches that were for doors and hoods that car alarms use and that were way to big for this. I just wish the switch was round instead of a rectangle it would have been a lot easier to drill a hole than make the cut out that I did. The glove box closes tight like it did before the switch.

As for the wiring I T-tapped the same pink wire that the illuminated doorsills use. The pink wire is the hot that is on all time. The wire is on a 25 pin connector that is on bottom of the cowl area. (You can look up the PDF for the install of the door sills on Sparks and get better idea of the which pin connector I talking about, it’s on pages 13 and 14 of the manual). For the ground I first tried to tap the brown wire on that same connector, don’t do this (it’s the same ground that the doorsills use) to find out that the glove box light only came on when the passenger door was open, since the doorsills turn off when the door is closed. So I just wired the ground under the ground bolt that’s to right in of the connector (you can see the bolt head in the pictures). The XM radio uses the same ground.

The BMW pin switch was 6.00 off of ebay.
The green wire connectors form the BMW dealership were 4.00
The T-taps form radio Shack were 2.00
The fuse and fuse holder from AutoZone were 7.00

·
Registered
240 Posts
Tap Lights! That's a great idea.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
EPHIOS said:
Tap Lights! That's a great idea.
I want to put tap lights under the dash and maybe on the self under the back seats instead of buying the LED illumination stuff. Lol! I can't afford that 4-n-1 illumination set.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Nice job on the switch find I like that alot better and man you will actually be able to see wtf is in the GB at night.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.