Scion XB Forum banner

Gold with HTM?

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Damaged 
#1 ·
The list of things to do on my B is getting shorter and shorter. Lately I just scored some lowering springs and haven't dropped yet. The thread on my tires is getting almost as smooth as a baby's bottom, so I think now would be the perfect time for new rims/tires as I'm still on the stockies. I have a 4" DC Sports exhaust so I definitely don't want that to wind up being on the ground after the drop so I'm thinkin of going from my 16's up to 17's or possibly 18's. the drop should be about 2" in the back, 1" in the front. My questions are as follows: should I go 17's and would my exhaust be safely off the ground? And in all honesty, what does the gold look like on HTM? One day I found it odd looking, the next I absolutely dig it. Some buds like it, some say it looks like a huge Smurf version of Mr. T. So what's the verdict? I'm also really considering Falken tires BTW, always been a fan of the brand, any input on them as well?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
With the green-blue of teal, a gold works.

Actually, I would go with copper. That would look absolutely amazing with that shade of teal!
Copper is a "standard" compliment color for teal.

Just google "teal" and "copper" and see how many things show up.

#3 ·
Not so much a smurf mobile as the rs8 by any means...

A gold wheel looks ok. I think tj might be right on the copper. But a copper looking wheel will be hard to find I think. As a side note, might be able to find a decent used set of blades off craigslist and could always get em painted, or diy.you would be just fine with 18s and not scrape. Id say get a 40 series tire though. With the drop and those tires you would most likely loose only a inch of actual ground clearance.

Falkens, never had em. Always been a pricey tire to me. I dunno

#4 ·
Really being in Houston Tx the only rims on Craigslist are 4 lug 14" Civic, 22" and bigger gangsta blades, and Chevy stocks. Once in awhile you'll get a jdm 350z picture pop up and some amazing Enkeis for sale for like $1200, and I am not droppin anywhere near that cheese for just rims. So I'm confined to the Internet for rims. The 17's pictured I can pick up for $475 shipped, and Falkens rough estimate is about $500 installed, I have to look for 18s though. If I bump up to 18's, I'm probably going to need a bigger spare then also right? I think I can get away with my stockie spare on 17's but 18's could be pushing it.

#5 ·
If I bump up to 18's, I'm probably going to need a bigger spare then also right? I think I can get away with my stockie spare on 17's but 18's could be pushing it.
You seem to feel that a bigger wheel automatically means a bigger tire and therefore a bigger rolling radius. Doing that will introduce small but measureable errors in your speedometer and odometer, and also hurt acceleration (and to a lesser extent, cornering power). You may want to instead consider a lower profile tire to go with the bigger wheel such that the resulting rolling radius is similar to (or even the same as) stock.

Go to Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com they have a really handy tool to compare wheel and tire sizes. On the left hand side, click on Shop Rims by car, enter your car, then on the left hand side click on Size Comparer. Using this tool will enable you to put lower profile tires on your larger wheels yet be close to stock rolling radius.

#7 ·
Yeah I know all about speedos and odometers bein off, I have quite a few buddies with Impalas and Buicks rollin on 22's and 24's and they tell me stuff all the time. Well I mean as long as it looks and performs good, I'm completely fine with keeping the same outside diameter. I was already planning on compensating the bigger rim to be wrapped with a thinner tire. Huge tires only look good on muscle cars and the B is FAR from that. So low pros have definitely been on my mind. The main thing I'm worried about like I said I dont want to tear up my exhaust (about to post a pic so yall can see where I'm at).

#8 ·
Alright so a pic for youse guys. I put the oil bottle under it for scale. I think the 2" drop in the back with 17" low pros should be fine. I'm a TON taller than I originally thought, that's for sure.

Attachments

#9 ·
Gold looks good on anything ;)

#10 ·
So the story goes I go to Discount Tire with a specific gold rim in mind. Guy says it'll take 2 days to get here from Kansas, and I told him with the shape my tires are in, that's just not possible. They didn't have anything gold in stock, nor anything that just simply threw me into "I MUST HAVE IT!" The salesman did his job rolling a series of different rims my way and setting them next to the car to visualize. After almost an hour, I kinda settled for these black and aluminum ones that actually match my headlights quite well. I got 17's wrapped in the exact low pro all weather Falkens I wanted, so I'm quite happy about that, and the main reason I settled on these rims was the special they had going on: buy 3 rims in stock, get 1 free, buy a set of rims, get 2 tires free plus a $30 mail in rebate for Falkens. I walked out with rims and tires for $680. The gold rims would've ran me $1080. For the money, I feel it's not that bad of a compromise. What do you guys think?

Attachments

#11 ·
Also I should add that these tires so far are just insane. The grip is amazing while cornering at high speeds, the long zigzigs going down tight roads just makes it car feel more in place than ever, and even while attempting to lose traction, it's almost impossible with these tires. No doubt, one of the greatest automotive buys to date.

#12 ·
Those looks sweet. Now it just needs to sit a little lower :D

I've had good luck with Falkens, I had Yokahamas that were ok on dry roads but in the rain were useless. I had good luck with Kuhmo tires as an all around tread.

#18 ·
Congrats on the purchase, looks good.
Happy you got the tires you wanted for a good price too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.