Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Xb and am, relatively speaking, an oldster, at 60. My seat is terribly uncomfortable - no support - no bolstering. Any suggestions?

I'd sell this car for this weakness alone, but feel I would take something of a loss.

The car has many features I like: power, stick shift, roomy feel for small car, inexpensive

Things I don't like:

* the aforementioned seats!
* the radio! Why place THE most used button on the passenger side of the radio: the main control knob
* Big window - teeny visor
* I wish that the bracket supporting the rear seat in its "up" position was retractable: that way bigger items could be accommodated when using the seat in its "down" position

thanks for any advice or thoughts

phynkel

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
For the radio . . .
it is build/designed in Japan, which is a right-hand drive nation. I don't understand why they don't make left and right versions of some things like radios. I've noticed that on A LOT of Japanese and British vehicles imported into the US.

As for the bracket . . . I use it as a tie-down when hauling stuff. I find it quite useful. It is rather long into the cabin, though.
As for retraction, due to how it is a support bracket for the seats, it must be firmly anchored and solid. So, any retraction could cause breakage at a bad time when under stress. I do wish it was more integrated into the side, rather than out so far. Oh, well.

The visor doesn't bother me, as I almost always drive with a hat and use the bill as a movable visor to block what irritates me and can be instantly moved when an issue for seeing a blind spot.

As for the seat . . .
I HATE the headrest angle! I like the seat almost vertical (armrests angled down), which means it pushes my head forward and down. So, I keep it at the least reclined I can and have the headrest not be "a pain in the neck" . . .
If you want to add the seat covers Sparks sells ($225 for the leather-like vinyl ones), you could add more lumbar support between the seat and the cover.
As is, the factory fabric is part of the seat and the foam is molded into it. So, it doesn't remove easily for alteration.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
phynkel said:
my problem with the seats is this: I feel like I'm sitting on a shaft of steel  :mad:

the bottom cushion is kinda puny and I'm not fat
It is minimalist.  If you want to add: http://www.trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?Mdl_dtl=631&Part_cat=32&parts_id=2809
You can add more cushion than in the seats have now. Just add foam between the factory fabric and and the cover.  Ask Jamie or Ken (at Sparks) about how much new padding is added by the covers.  Jamie has a set in his xB, so he knows.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all for the suggestions. I love my car even if family members think it's homely. I also regret not having purchased the auto trans and the upgraded sound system, but the cheapie system is OK

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
I like the seats, just not the headrest angle.
IF I could find a way or an alternate to make it just a few degrees more vertical, I would be perfectly happy with them.

· Registered
474 Posts
TartanJack said:
As for the seat . . .
I HATE the headrest angle! I like the seat almost vertical (armrests angled down), which means it pushes my head forward and down. So, I keep it at the least reclined I can and have the headrest not be "a pain in the neck" . . .
AS for the "pain in the neck" if you have not reversed the headrests...try it. Mine were reversed before I departed the dealership!

Brewski

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
I've run both ways.
The reversed position seems TOO far back for why they are bent forward.
I want something between the 2.

· Registered
112 Posts
TartanJack said:
I've run both ways.
The reversed position seems TOO far back for why they are bent forward.
I want something between the 2.
I believe that the Gen 1 xB headrests fit the front seats. You might give that a shot and you could probably get a hold of a pair for relatively cheap. Or get the headrest monitors as they are a different shape as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.