Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did this as gas gauge questions came about, and enthonol and non eth gases. Some were gettin what I call winter mpgs, And my summer mpgs seem ridiculously good. So heres the skinny. Weather was good. I have 18" wheels with 245s. I have the five speed. Most of my shifts are around 3k, with an occasional stompin. And being in chicagoland, its generally flat. Our 'hills' here are like on ramps to the freeway. Tollway here...

Heres a tanks worth. Filled to the brim with bp 87, dunno the ethanol content. Wrote down #'s beginning of each day.

First Reading as of the fill up, put in 12.7 gallons.

Range Trip MPH MPG
31 - 334.8 - 26. - 28.0
335 - 0 - 0- 0 <~fill up
248 - 90.6- 29 - 28.6
211- 156.0- 28 - 28.7
117- 235.0 - 26 - 28.0
58 - 303.0- 26- 28.2
23 - 339.4- 26 - 28.1 <~gas light came on
0- 362.1- 26 - 28.2 <~zero range
0 - 380.1- 25 - 28.5 <~ milked it in rush hour traffic since hit 0 range

Filled it to the brim with same bp 87 gas. 14.55 gallons. New range said 338. Highest ive seen yet. Total hourswas 14:39. This is the most ive drivin on a tank yet. I also let it warm up no less than 2-3 solid minutes each time I set out.
My to the brim means squeezing in the extra to where you can almost lick it out of the filler tube.

Not sure if this will help anyone or pizz ya off. Thought I'd share though....

·
Registered
844 Posts
Be careful filling up to the brim. A tee is in the gas filler tube that goes to the gas evap canister. This unit catches gas fumes as they come out of the tank. Sometimes, gas can get into this canister and disable it if the gas level is too high. A new canister can cost a bunch.

·
Registered
314 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
When I bought the car, the range was 250. Now it has gone down to.200. Something is wrong. I don't have floor it and I recently started putting 89. What do your guys think the problem is?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You got 250 and are now getting 200 or is that what the dash said/says after fill-up?

If you're just going by the computer, I'm sure as a new car, it didn't have enough mileage to make an accurate computation. Now that it has more miles for the way YOU drive it has a better estimate. Not necessarily flooring it, but city/highway, wheel/tire changes, temp, summer vs winter gas, brand of gas (the gas itself is the same, but can have different additives - google "top tier gas") can all make a difference. Stick with regular. Higher octane just prevents preignition on cars with higher compression. If your car doesn't call for higher octane it won't make any difference except to your wallet.

Maybe buy some brand name fuel system cleaner. My wife's Mini needs premium which we always used. After a year it was running rough. The dealer had to pull the intake and walnut blast the deposits and clean the injectors (under warranty luckily). They told us to use top-tier fuel or a can of injector cleaner every few months. We've used Shell or Mobil ever since and had no more problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You got 250 and are now getting 200 or is that what the dash said/says after fill-up?

If you're just going by the computer, I'm sure as a new car, it didn't have enough mileage to make an accurate computation. Now that it has more miles for the way YOU drive it has a better estimate. Not necessarily flooring it, but city/highway, wheel/tire changes, temp, summer vs winter gas, brand of gas (the gas itself is the same, but can have different additives - google "top tier gas") can all make a difference. Stick with regular. Higher octane just prevents preignition on cars with higher compression. If your car doesn't call for higher octane it won't make any difference except to your wallet.

Maybe buy some brand name fuel system cleaner. My wife's Mini needs premium which we always used. After a year it was running rough. The dealer had to pull the intake and walnut blast the deposits and clean the injectors (under warranty luckily). They told us to use top-tier fuel or a can of injector cleaner every few months. We've used Shell or Mobil ever since and had no more problems.
I always use Shell or 76 sometimes Chevron. It has about 3k miles. Maybe its not broken in yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
when i got my first box i drove with the current mpg always on the dash. i was getting 26 - 27 avg mpg at that time. with the mpg always displayed i developed better driving habits until i slowly started to see an increase in my mileage. over time my average started inching closer to the magical 30 MPG range. now, anything less then 30 is unacceptable to me. 2 new gen 2s later i have learned it has more to do with driver habits and less to do with brand of gas or "training your xB"

good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did this as gas gauge questions came about, and enthonol and non eth gases. Some were gettin what I call winter mpgs, And my summer mpgs seem ridiculously good. So heres the skinny. Weather was good. I have 18" wheels with 245s. I have the five speed. Most of my shifts are around 3k, with an occasional stompin. And being in chicagoland, its generally flat. Our 'hills' here are like on ramps to the freeway. Tollway here...

Heres a tanks worth. Filled to the brim with bp 87, dunno the ethanol content. Wrote down #'s beginning of each day.

First Reading as of the fill up, put in 12.7 gallons.

Range Trip MPH MPG
31 - 334.8 - 26. - 28.0
335 - 0 - 0- 0 <~fill up
248 - 90.6- 29 - 28.6
211- 156.0- 28 - 28.7
117- 235.0 - 26 - 28.0
58 - 303.0- 26- 28.2
23 - 339.4- 26 - 28.1 <~gas light came on
0- 362.1- 26 - 28.2 <~zero range
0 - 380.1- 25 - 28.5 <~ milked it in rush hour traffic since hit 0 range

Filled it to the brim with same bp 87 gas. 14.55 gallons. New range said 338. Highest ive seen yet. Total hourswas 14:39. This is the most ive drivin on a tank yet. I also let it warm up no less than 2-3 solid minutes each time I set out.
My to the brim means squeezing in the extra to where you can almost lick it out of the filler tube.

Not sure if this will help anyone or pizz ya off. Thought I'd share though....
Because you run non stock rims and tires, how far out of whack is your speed when you use a gps?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Because you run non stock rims and tires, how far out of whack is your speed when you use a gps?
Bigger rims and/or wider tires do not automatically mean huge differences from the stock tire/wheel rolling diameter. As long as the tire height (the /number in the tire size) is chosen carefully along with the width, the rolling difference can be minimal. For example I run 225/50 x 16 and the difference is Zero.

Not sure what series (sidewall height) of 18" tires that Slorocket is running, but with 245 widths, there is no perfact rolling diameter match to the OEM 205/55 x 16 tires. So depending on the tire height, Slorocket's wheel/tire combo will give some error. For example 35 series gives 0.5% slower, and 40 series gives 3.3% faster on the speedometer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bigger rims and/or wider tires do not automatically mean huge differences from the stock tire/wheel rolling diameter. As long as the tire height (the /number in the tire size) is chosen carefully along with the width, the rolling difference can be minimal. For example I run 225/50 x 16 and the difference is Zero.

Not sure what series (sidewall height) of 18" tires that Slorocket is running, but with 245 widths, there is no perfact rolling diameter match to the OEM 205/55 x 16 tires. So depending on the tire height, Slorocket's wheel/tire combo will give some error. For example 35 series gives 0.5% slower, and 40 series gives 3.3% faster on the speedometer.
So then, mileage, as well as mpg will be off. That is, unless you match up PERFECTLY to what stock was

I had the same issue with my 2500hd duramax. went from a 16 in stock 245/70/16 to a 17 in rim with 315/70/17's (34.5 in tall) . JACKED up my speedo and mileage

I bought a tuner that was able to dial the speedo problem back to stock readings though.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I run a 40 series tire. So the mere 3.3% higher would be 12.5 miles more than stock tire size. You all are thinkin... but overthinkin I think....

Its like goin across the street for gas cuz its a penny less. You saved a wholllleeee 12 or 13 cents fillin up. Will it add up over time? Sure. But it wont break ya.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.