Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after years of showing my old ride, I learned a few things about showing, and I never really did that much to the engine compartment. So now after my first show with my XB I realized there are things I wanted to do to get extra points if I decide to do a show again. So tried my hand at painting my engine plastic. I wanted to use engine paint to make sure it doesn't get ruined during everyday driving and engine heat. The front cover needs one more coat of clear and some color sanding, but put it all in just to see what it's gonna look like. Also polished the manifold cover.

· Registered
328 Posts
How did you get the effect? Plastic bags? Plastic wrap! It looks really good!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Premium Member
709 Posts
Obviously you meant to give it that "sticky" look or what ever it is. I have used masking tape to get something similar before

Looks good tho!

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used the engine paint from Pep Boys, and yes I used plastic wrap to get the effect. I was going for the marble effect look, but not sure what it looks like now, lol, but that's what I was trying to do. I wanna build a mini paint booth and do some interior plastic pieces using a real compressor and color matched paint, in the future.

· Registered
183 Posts
I used the engine paint from Pep Boys, and yes I used plastic wrap to get the effect. I was going for the marble effect look, but not sure what it looks like now, lol, but that's what I was trying to do. I wanna build a mini paint booth and do some interior plastic pieces using a real compressor and color matched paint, in the future.
so you know you don't have to use high temp paint on plastic in the engine bay. and quality spray can will do. I'd say color match the Absolutely Red. would look awesome.

but it is great paint work you did, I really like the painted radiator cover, much cleaner that way.

Should do great at your next show!

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I wish I had used the exact color match paint, but using rattle can to practice my techniques is all that I had. To purchase a compressor and paint guns to do the interior pieces is gonna have to wait till maybe the end of the year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.