Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is that infamous time of year here in S Florida when Luv Bugs rule the air and terrorize every car within a 300 mile radius. Everyday I travel 30 miles each way to and from work. Everyday I have to wash my car to prevent premanent damage to my paint job.

This is a pic from yesterday. This happened in a 2 mile stretch just before my exit on i95.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wax it once a week. It doesn't matter, if you leave them on your car they will ruin it. Luvbugs have some kind of acid in their blood that just eats at paint.

·
Registered
141 Posts
what about painters tape!!??? change on weekends maybe!!?? the blue that everyone uses for going to shows with!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not a bad idea. I have an upper bra and I am just waiting for the lower piece to arrive. That should should be all I need to protect the paint.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$75 on eBay. Not a bad deal.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
422 Posts
That pictures hurts just by looking at it. I would be freaking out and living at the local car wash :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Believe me it is frustrating. I waxed it again today after washing the front end. I spend at least 45 minutes everyday cleaning it when I get home. People in my neighborhood are amazed that I am constantly cleaning it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys are lucky. The pic above was one of the better days. I have had far worse this season.

BTW, Do they still have those Friday shows at the strip mall going on every week in Fort Lauderdale? I use to go to those all the time. Tons of cars and good people.

·
Registered
368 Posts
M-I-T-B: I live up the coast from you so I feel your pain!!! I have lived here for 6 years now and this year the LUV bugs are by far the worst they have ever been. We have swarms of the little !$%$&%^&#* bugs here and they are crawling all over our cars and homes this year :eek:. As soon as I get home, I wash those @$#%$*&%^ bugs off our cars. For the life of me I just don't understand how people just leave all that bug death on their cars for days on end. Fortunately, I only have to drive on city streets to get to work so it is no where near as bad as your situation. I was told that dryer sheets (Bounce) clean them right off, I haven't tried it, but if they do work it might be something to carry in the car with you. Something else we do is stop by the local Avis and rent a car if we have to travel within the state during LUV bug season. :biggrin:

BamBam
BoxGT1
:biggrin::rolleyes::)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dryer sheets do work to a degree but with temps at 90+, even those don't work that well. Heavy waxing and washing daily really is the best option. Having bras on our cars makes a huge difference. I just keep a lot of silicone on them and the bugs come right off. I use a razor blade to clean the wind shield and then invisible glass. I have gone through 3 cans of that stuff this month! They are starting to let up a bit now down here. Hopefully we are coming to the end for this season. Can't wait until the fall when they come out again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.