Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm Jen, from So Cal, and I bought my first Scion (2008 xB) on Sunday. I probably won't be doing any major mods, since I just bought it to be good on gas mileage and have room for my dogs, but I do like it a lot. I did NOT like the first gen xBs at all, but I think these 2nd gens are cute. I totaled my commuter car in September, and I've been driving my 2002 Trans Am to and from work - the V8 was killing me with gas expenses, and I could no longer tote my dogs around, so here I am with my Scion xB. :) With a Trans Am as my other car, I don't really see any need to do any performance mods to this one, though I do want the back spoiler added - I like the look of it.

I got a silver one (really my only option at the lot) with 64,000 miles. I'm hoping it will still last forever, since it's a Toyota.

What brought me to this site was that my car didn't come with an Owners Manual... I'm disappointed to see that Haynes isn't making one, but I was grateful to whoever put those shop diagrams on this site. I came back tonight, because I'm trying to figure out how the VSC works with respect to the interface. Is the light on the dash only supposed to come on when the VSC kicks in on its own, or can I turn it on so that it's on by default? I tried pushing the button tonight on my drive home, and it brought the light up on the dash but immediately turned back off (it was raining).

Pic here: http://twitpic.com/zpu5w

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
WELCOME!!
I just happen to be up at 1am EST . . .

First, the VSC:
The VSC is defaulted to "on" and the button turns it off (until you get above 35MPH). When the dash light is on it means:
a) It is flashing and may have a beep with it. That means it is working to keep your wheels on the road and keeping the xB somewhat stable.
b) It has been turned off (steady light), to help in really bad situations like mud or (mainly) snow- when the actions of the VSC is counterproductive to what you are trying to do.

Normally, it is on, passive, and there is no light.

As for performance . . .
It can be addictive. My "other car" is a 90 Miata set up for mountain road driving. So, I didn't expect to worry much about handling upgrades on the xB . . .
Well . . .
I did it. Now, the xB is only somewhat less-quick than the Miata w/ handling and has similar acceleration.

The xB probably won't be the rocket of the TransAm, but is quite respectable compared to many cars (esp. in mid-range torque). It zips right along.
Also, the engine computer (ECU) will train itself to how YOU drive to optimize what you want it to so. If you drive for economy, it can get WELL above the listed MPG. If you "drive it like you stole it," it will frighten many a passenger with the power and instant pull.
Mine shocks my father, who is used to a newer Miata and a BMW 5-series, every time I let him drive my xB.

After 1.75 years and 35,000 miles, I find my xB quite impressive.

Once again:
Welcome!

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Whitenebula said:
Thanks. :) And I just ordered myself a used Owners Manual from eBay, LOL.

The xB does feel zippy. I like the clean, quiet feeling when it accelerates.
That was something I was going to recommend, but deleted. :lol:
I wasn't sure of the the best source for one, or if there was a free copy on-line. Ebay is always a hit-and-miss option. I've had many great experiences and a few doozies . . .

· Premium Member
811 Posts
Welcome, Jen. It's always nice to see another female owner.

First thing, don't be too sure about not modding. My first xB was a 2009 and ended up loaded with aftermarket additions. Now, I own the 2010 RS 7.0 and have already started adding things to it. The simplest and best are interior LED's and HID's. After that, you're on your own.

This is the best forum online for owners of the gen2 xB. Feel free to ask questions, make suggestions, and just participate in the general insanity.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks :) Actually, cosmetic mods do interest me more than performance mods. The best performance I hope for on the xB is to save me $ on gas. For the LEDs, did you add them using dealer parts or aftermarket? My brother works for Toyota, so I'm trying to find out if he can get me discounted parts... like the spoiler.

Here's a picture I snapped this morning of both my guys barely fitting in my driveway: http://twitpic.com/101pg1

· Registered
342 Posts
Welcome to the site! Whose WRX STi is that?

· Premium Member
811 Posts
There are sooooo many website hookups for the Scion. It's a blank canvas waiting for the owner's imagination to create. There are links to many sites on these forums, as well as ebay and google to find what you want.

· Registered
342 Posts
Whitenebula said:
it's like the fast and the furious in your driveway lol

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been driving this for 3 weeks now, and I really like it... So do my dogs. I'm disappointed at the gas mileage I'm getting, though, since I mostly drive highway miles. The highway I drive on every day goes over a small mountain range, though - that probably has a lot to do with it. My first tank only got me 20.25 MPG - I was pissed! The next one got 24.25 MPG - a little better. I try to drive as conservative as possible. This last one got me 22.25 MPG.

I already broke part of it, though! I hit a steep driveway and effed my front bumper up. Here is a picture of my brother zip tying sh!t back together:
http://twitpic.com/13q4st

I want to buy new headlight lamps - will probably get an HID conversion kit... I don't want anything flashy or illegal - just brighter. These headlights suck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.