Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5spd xB has developed an annoying habit of grinding a good bit when shifting into 4th quickly, especially from 3rd. If I give it a momentary pause it's fine or even just rev it a little with the clutch in between gears and it's fine. Seems like the syncro's aren't matching up rev's quickly enough. Is this cause for serious concern? When I bought the car I got a 2yr/24k extended warranty so this will be covered I would imagine.

·
Registered
658 Posts
If there's a warranty just take it in. Anytime gears grind regularly its either an inexperienced standard trans driver or something's wrong with the car. I would assume if you were inexperienced you would not be posting this.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Haha, I would consider myself an experienced manual transmission driver.
I figured as much but figured it should be made known that that is a common issue when people complain about grinding.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm not a mechanic or do I play one on tv, but over the years (50) of driving a stick one picks up on certain causes of why a tranny acts as it does. Your problem could be a synchronizer gone bad,low lubrication (oil)in the transaxile,or maybe the clutch is dragging caused by low fluid in the master cylinder. Either way you should take it back and they should fix it. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
782 Posts
When people say "quickly", often they're trying to shove it into gear, effectively overriding (forcing) the synchros. This behavior is pretty much guaranteed to cause damage. Syncronizers must be allowed to do their job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.