1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering.

Do ground wires really work?

i read the following...

The ground wires provides better ground electrical current passages from battery negative to body frame, chassis and engine components to stabilized revolution. Provides higher torque in both low and medium power bands, faster throttle response, stabilize engine at high RPM, gain instant 5-8 Horse Power. Improve starting adeptness, response and reduce fuel consumption.

BUt i don't think it does all that. Or does it?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
It won't do all those things, but without grounds things don't work right. Usually when you run into gremlins in the car its probably due to some sort of ground problem.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ive had the Sun grounding system with the hyper voltage system in like 4 cars so far. Havent put it on the B yet, but with my EVO I got a little better gas mileage, like 2-3 mpg better. In my G, maybe 1.5 mpg better. I want to go thru my break-in period first before I start calculating real mpg numbers than Ill install my voltage system. It does work, but dont expect phenomenal changes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK. I'm going to add my two cents in here. This relates to the xB2's only. In looking at the negative lead from the battery I find this to be a poor ground. The ground wire looks to be about a #4 and is attached to the sheet metal over the left wheel. Then about 8" away there is another ~#4 ground wire that is connected to sheet metal, a part of the unibody frame. This wire goes to the back of the transmission. Where the two wires attach to the sheet metal, they are attached over the paint onto a nut that is spot welded to the underside. There are no lock washers used in attaching these wires. Normally the ground wires from the negative post are larger, the ground wire goes to the engine block or where the transmission attaches to engine and a smaller wire about a #10 or #8 wire to frame or sheet metal. While the factory ground wiring may be adequate, it certainly is not what I would call a good automotive ground. I would never think of attaching the main ground wire over a painted surface using only the threaded part of the welded on nut for a ground.

I had my car a little over two weeks and the first mod I did was to add two #4 ground wires from the top of the negative battery clamp to the back of the transmission and to the unused treaded bolt hole on the cylinder head. I did this the first week I owned the car. Did I feel more power after the mod or did it idle better, no. That is why I said the factory ground is adequate, it does work. The mod took me about an hour to do and that included going and getting the wire ends, a metric bolt and some lock washers. I would not waste my time or money on the fancy ground systems that are out there. You can build a good ground system yourself.

Al

1 - 5 of 5 Posts