Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is actually pretty embarrassing to admit since I used to work auto body 20 years ago and am pretty handy with basic mechanics but, here goes.

I have a company car I drive through the week. I didn't need to buy an XB but I always wanted one and my Mazda5 was a little long in the tooth from all the weekend trips... and the warranty was long gone from miles. I was in Memphis, TN and saw 3 XB's on a large Scion/Toyota dealer lot and stopped in. Fell in love, price was good, trade in was good, just felt right and the one thing that really sealed the deal was that wonderful 145 point Scion certification process. Test drove it, crawled around in it, got under it the best I could. The only red flag was the a/c compressor, I couldn't hear it kick in or the motor drop rpm. Salesman said Scion was all about efficiency and since it was cold, the car didn't see a reason to run it. AGAIN, Scion Certified warranty and he reminded me that even if there were any issues... Scion is behind you! This car is thoroughly checked and as good as new. Signed the papers, came home.

3 days later, it's warmer and I leave the house in my XB and the A/C doesn't work! Local dealer... It's had some type of damage that I couldn't see. They tell me they've heard the dealer I got it from likes to "paper certify" the car. So much so, they take me back while it's on the rack and show me. 4 mechanics are looking at it all saying the same thing. If it was actually certified, they couldn't have so much as changed the fluids without seeing this. A/C = bracket bent, pulley ate through the hose. They call Memphis and I head down there. "Cooling off period" is over, I own it. I can't get my car back. They say I did the damage. Call Scion, lodge a complaint, that's when they tell me about how the DEALERSHIP closes the complaint when THEY feel resolution has been made.

Carfax on it was clean. Has a buyback guarantee. Problem is, I have to have some proof it was damaged BEFORE I purchased it. Car came from a non disclosure state and I can't get the previous owner info to call them and ask or get any possible records. Carfax buyback guarantee is a no go. On top of that... If I would like to report damage myself, then I just ruined any possible trade in value later because it would be on a Carfax and trash a trade in.

Memphis dealer did agree to repair A/C after I refused to leave the showroom to loudly tell everyone of my problem. Local dealer fixed it = $400 and billed Memphis.

On the way home, loud noise, pull over, inner fender well is being ate out but the tire. Why you ask? because when I was under it the best I could before I signed on the line, I couldn't see damaged parts because they weren't there to see. And since I don't know all of the parts that should be there, I didn't know they were missing. Back to local dealer. They show me the missing parts and use what they can to secure it. Again, Memphis doesn't care, it's your problem.

Weeks later, new noise, heat shield for catalytic convertor is rattling because it's also been damaged. This time not free... local dealer understands but has to charge me a basic charge and bend it back the best they can. They're documenting it all for me but here's how they lay it down for me. They understand and feel for me and believe I did get screwed over. They word things for records very vaguely so that my certified warranty doesn't start getting exclusions or even worse yet, dropped by the manufacturer. I ask what will keep them from dropping me if something larger happens. They tell me, they ALL remember my car and know about it. If I bring it to them, they will do whatever they can within reason. They also suggest I quietly and out of Toyota's knowledge at some local auto body shop... have all that fixed so if something bigger did come up and a warranty rep had to look at it, they wouldn't see anymore than basic scrapes and dings.

So, summary. You should never trust a certified warranty and certification process and screening because as the Scion Rep explained to me "Our dealer network is so large, we can not monitor all dealerships at all times and if a mistake has actually occurred, we do truly apologize and will contact the dealer to make sure we have done all we can to work towards a resolution". But, the dealer who made the mistake has full decision if the problem is resolved. Also, you probably never really went through all the legal fine print of the standard arbitration agreement you signed when you signed all the paperwork. Well, it is all written to protect them and screw you. Also, Carfax is a joke. It is there to provide a false sense of basic security. If there is no police report, well, there never was an accident basically. Keep that in mind if you ever hit something. Maybe you should weigh the cost of your own repair versus the depreciation of a Carfax report will do. Anytime you purchase ANY vehicle, I would suggest you treat it like a car from a shady used car dealer in a plaid suite and a greasy mustache with a drunk slur to his speech.

If you wonder why I have left out dealer names, dates etc. Truth is, I am driving a car that I still have 4 years of payments on and 50,000 in remaining warranty that I am terrified to lose... At least until I can come up with the $1138.00 to purchase new OEM parts and have a body shop hide the damage that the dealer I purchased it from alleged I did to it. I have never owned a Toyota before and stupidly trusted the name, the dealer network and all the promises the Certified Warranty page on the website lists. I hope this can keep some of you from making the same mistake I did.

·
Registered
107 Posts
sorry you ended up with such a headache...I thought the certified program was legit!

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
that really sucks man. Same thing happened with the first xB I bought used. The fusebox was getting water into it from a bend in the hood I didnt notice and the dealer said it was my fault. So I just traded it in and bought a brand new one from somewhere else.

·
Registered
243 Posts
that story almost brought tears to my eyes! then anger took over!!! that place should be "banned" from selling scions.

stick close to the forums here; the members may able to help you identify missing parts and advise you while getting ride road worthy. get your camera ready!

i'm a proud scion xB2 owner and i hate to hear of anyone not experiencing the joy of owning this type of vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
****, sorry to hear that. I'm in the market and found 2 2011 XBs, one is from a private seller whose mother-in-law passed and the other is from a 3rd party dealer. Both have very low mileage but some how I feel better purchasing from the private party.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys but I really am scared at this point to kick up to much of a stink. I really am worried about loosing my warranty if I start the ball rolling and then can't get anywhere, then I suffer and not them. I may have understood it wrong from the GOOD dealer here but from what I got... Although it's Toyota Certified, the warranty is underwritten by a different company. So... with that said, if they drop the warranty, Toyota Motor Credit isn't really part of the same entity so what would they care? I loved my Mazda5 but when I traded it in, it had hit the dreaded 100,000 mile mark and I literally ended up with only $1000.00 trade in so... I'm in it, full bluebook sales price.

I did leave bad customer reviews all over any Memphis, TN area review sites I could find but they aren't there anymore accept for Dealerrater.com. Funny thing about that site I found though... several of the 5 star rating had email address's like @memphisregisterstar.com which is a newspaper they advertise in etc. So, I reported all those users and now, they're still posted but the email address's are gone. I guess when you have like 9 dealerships and then sub dealerships that sell the less than front line cars and then various buy here pay here car lots for the junk and people with no credit, your advertising dollar has some pull. So... I can't think of how to get them without possibly screwing myself.

As far as parts in needs immediately... Well, I don't know the names and really need another scion or some type of parts catalog to compare. The bumper cover is there but there's really nothing around it. Added some screws and we got a bunch of zip ties strapping it to the bolt holes for what should be there. So, everything across the entire front is free floating, well it was before the zip ties and there should be a chin pan thing under there. The initial flex at highway speed it what made all the screws work loose and cause the inner plastic fender damage from rubbing. Anyone know of some parts manual online or something I could reference. I could take some pics but I don't have a lift so I don't know how good they will be but I would definitely appreciate the help. And will get some pics this weekend to post.

The jacked up heat shields I just need to order and I can have a muffler shop handle that. Funny thing... the 145 point certified inspection calls for things like 50% life on the brakes left.... brakes are in the near future because, well, you already know LOL! Also an alignment this weekend since the drivers side tire looks to be wearing, toe out. It doesn't seem to really pull but it's noticeable after 5000 miles so it must need it.

It's just total bull$h1t that I even have to do this and I hope other people aren't as trusting in the whole Scion Certified system and understand that it's not the trusting, quality, safety net I thought it was. I mean, the reason I traded was not just because I always wanted a Gen2 XB but for the peace of mind that I thought I was getting basically a new car. Funny that another dealer all had staff that knew about "paper certified". I don't think the average person knows there is truly certified and then there's one that's just certified by someone submitting something to Toyota.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would never buy used from a dealer for the same reason.

Scion and their "pure price" BS. I found a Toyota/Scion dealer that gave me $1,100 off a new 2012. The sales man said when Scion ask what we paid, tell full retail. :eek:

We paid full price for a MINI cooper S, good thing for lemon laws. As the dealer had to buy it back at full retail. Had the POS for about 7mos.

Best of luck!
AZ

·
Registered
978 Posts
You could check out trdsparks.com. They have pdf files for installation of most parts listed for sale. For example, the foglights require/recommend removal of the bumper. That should show all the parts that should be there. They also have good prices so you can order the parts you need from them as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i feel a little better about my situation know im not the only one being worked over by dealership warrenty. congrats your issue was covered as for me im stuck without 3rd, 4th gear. under 55k on odometer denied warrenty diagnosis to problem was unable to fix. came out of pocket for pointless repair and diagnosis as well as being told my car was falling apart on there lifts as well as telling me transmission was fine. and running in 3rd gear. to attempt at home with no luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.