Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my xB for about a year now and it already has battery corrosion. I'm just going to pour some Coke on it and wash it with warm water. I was told that it shouldn't have corrosion on it yet and it means that the car isn't grounded right. I don't know. ???

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
eb24 said:
I've had my xB for about a year now and it already has battery corrosion. I'm just going to poor some Coke on it and wash it with warm water. I was told that it shouldn't have corrosion on it yet and it means that the car isn't grounded right. I don't know. ???
most batteries corrode over time as battery ages and also just from being used - you can clean it with steel brush and put in some circular felt pads with some anti-corrosion juice on it and they will stay clean longer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
callmemrbill said:
I havent seen anything as of yet. Is the corrosion bad or is there alot of it?

Yeah, there's a lot of it on the negative post. I just happend to pop my hood cause a friend wanted to see what I had and what I got was :eek:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yeah that might be something to check out if there is allot of it. Like yanges said it will corrode some over time and use. Yanges left some good advice on the cleaning.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Yanges and callmemrbill,

Thanks for the quick response and advice :D. I'm not the smartest person about cars.

·
Registered
281 Posts
eb24 said:
Hey Yanges and callmemrbill,

Thanks for the quick response and advice :D. I'm not the smartest person about cars.
Don't sell yourself short....you bought an XB didn't you? Seems brilliant to me. :yes:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I wouldn't use Coke or Baking Soda with water to remove the build up because the acid will run down on something else and start eating away at it. I would remove the terminal from the battery and use a wire brush being careful not to spread the caked acid all over the place, then wipe it up with a rag to keep the mess to a minimum.

Once the terminal and post are clean you can use those red/green pads under the terminal to help keep this from happening again. I also use a battery terminal spray to spray over the cleaned terminal to help it stay clean longer.

Both the felt pads and battery spray are available at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shancopp - I did use Coke and it worked great!! Just melted right off.

Scion - I didn't think about battery acid running all over the place. So far everything seems to be working fine. I'll check into the terminal pads.

TulsaToaster - Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts