Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my xB for about a year now and it already has battery corrosion. I'm just going to pour some Coke on it and wash it with warm water. I was told that it shouldn't have corrosion on it yet and it means that the car isn't grounded right. I don't know. ???

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
eb24 said:
I've had my xB for about a year now and it already has battery corrosion. I'm just going to poor some Coke on it and wash it with warm water. I was told that it shouldn't have corrosion on it yet and it means that the car isn't grounded right. I don't know. ???
most batteries corrode over time as battery ages and also just from being used - you can clean it with steel brush and put in some circular felt pads with some anti-corrosion juice on it and they will stay clean longer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
callmemrbill said:
I havent seen anything as of yet. Is the corrosion bad or is there alot of it?

Yeah, there's a lot of it on the negative post. I just happend to pop my hood cause a friend wanted to see what I had and what I got was :eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Yanges and callmemrbill,

Thanks for the quick response and advice :D. I'm not the smartest person about cars.

·
Registered
281 Posts
eb24 said:
Hey Yanges and callmemrbill,

Thanks for the quick response and advice :D. I'm not the smartest person about cars.
Don't sell yourself short....you bought an XB didn't you? Seems brilliant to me. :yes:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I wouldn't use Coke or Baking Soda with water to remove the build up because the acid will run down on something else and start eating away at it. I would remove the terminal from the battery and use a wire brush being careful not to spread the caked acid all over the place, then wipe it up with a rag to keep the mess to a minimum.

Once the terminal and post are clean you can use those red/green pads under the terminal to help keep this from happening again. I also use a battery terminal spray to spray over the cleaned terminal to help it stay clean longer.

Both the felt pads and battery spray are available at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shancopp - I did use Coke and it worked great!! Just melted right off.

Scion - I didn't think about battery acid running all over the place. So far everything seems to be working fine. I'll check into the terminal pads.

TulsaToaster - Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.