Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
that's fine so all you need to do is to tap into the quarter lights and you should be fine. first you need to find out if the mirror signals are 2-3 wire setup. i am actually liking this idea and i might just have to remove the harness and use a volt meter or test light to find the correct wire to tap into

·
Registered
307 Posts
It should be pretty easy on xb's 2010 and older, since their upfront "blinker" is on all the time, unless you are turning then it blinks. Essentially replace the wiring with this wiring. Newer ones might need some work.... lol

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It should be pretty easy on xb's 2010 and older, since their upfront "blinker" is on all the time, unless you are turning then it blinks. Essentially replace the wiring with this wiring.
I'm pretty sure the 2008-2010 models use a 1157a dual-filament bulb for their front turn signals:

Lamp Replacement Guide View All Bulbs

so if you wanted to replicate this in the mirrors, you would need to mount new dual-filament bulbs in the mirrors and run 1 additional wire.

(Dual filament bulbs have a "dim" filament for parking lights, and a "bright" filament for signaling turns. Typically only one filament is lit at a time. The filaments are typically wired with a common ground, hence the need to run 3 wires to each dual filament bulb.)

Alternatives:
  • mount a separate low-brightness amber bulb or amber LED strip in the side mirror lens, powered by the parking lights circuit. During turns, the existing bulbs will outshine the low-brightness bulb/LED.
  • use relays to turn on the bulbs with the parking lights but blink during turns. This would allow full brightness of the bulbs.
  • fabricate a new circuit to feed reduced power to the existing side mirror bulbs, but resumes normal operation during turns.
I think the separate LED strip idea is the easiest. LEDs are cheap and small, and should be easy to mount. Since you only want this to work at night, an LED strip should provide enough brightness. Good luck with the mod and share pics when you're done!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Best way I see to do it would be to run a line from teh parking light circuit that feeds a slightly lower voltage to the leds in the turn signal so that they come on but not as bright as normal and then when the turn signal is being used they would get full voltage and brightness. It would only need two diodes and a resistor to build the circuit. The diodes are so that the voltage from the parking lights and turn signals don't feed back into each other and the resistor to drop the voltage coming from the parking light ciruit enough to turn the leds in the turn signal on dimly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best way I see to do it would be to run a line from teh parking light circuit that feeds a slightly lower voltage to the leds in the turn signal so that they come on but not as bright as normal and then when the turn signal is being used they would get full voltage and brightness. It would only need two diodes and a resistor to build the circuit. The diodes are so that the voltage from the parking lights and turn signals don't feed back into each other and the resistor to drop the voltage coming from the parking light ciruit enough to turn the leds in the turn signal on dimly.
Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.