Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

I would very much like to upgrade the head unit in my 2008 xb, but I am a little overwhelmed by what is available.
Wishlist: bluetooth streaming, navigation (would be nice, but not a deal breaker if not available), touchscreen, and keeping the audio controls on the steering wheel functional. A multicolor display would be nice too.
The list is long, I know. But I have no experience in audio and after a rather lengthy internet search I'm still not sure where to go.
What have you guys used and had a good experience with?!

· Registered
1,033 Posts
I think you should first decide on the head unit size, since that will divide the field of choices. Since you want a touch screen that means a Double DIN unit.

By the time you get up to the Double DIN touch screen level, most units have multiple color selection built in. Check the specs to be sure. Some units offer "multi-zone" color selection too.

Keeping the steering wheel controls is easy as long as the unit accepts an adapter. From what I've been reading this one is the easiest to set up:
Axxess ASWC-1 (ASWC1) Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface

In my opinion navigation in a head unit is not worth the additional cost. Most smart phones have the app built in although the screen is obviously smaller.

Crutchfield and Sonic Electronix have nice shopping guides that are very helpful:
Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LED LCD TV, Cameras
Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers

Crutchfield costs more but their site has more specific information. Sonic tends to offer their installation kits for free whereas Crutchfield may charge for them.

I bought a low-end Sony CDX-GT575UP single DIN unit for my 2000 Camry from Sonic a couple of months ago after an upgrade from the CDX-GT570UP (I really needed that display to automatically dim with the headlights) and I had a good experience with Sonic. One reason that I chose this unit was it has a 7-band EQ, which is great for tailoring the sound.

I like the Sony units:
(Sort Price: Lowest First) Sony Double-DIN Car Stereos with Built-in Bluetooth, with Touchscreen at Sonic Electronix

or the Pioneer units:
(Sort Price: Lowest First) Pioneer Double-DIN Car Stereos with Built-in Bluetooth, with Touchscreen at Sonic Electronix

Have fun shopping!

· Registered
1,033 Posts
The installation kits make your install go faster and cleaner. Plus with the wiring harness you can plug the new stereo to the OEM wiring and avoid splicing, and re-install the OEM head unit if you later sell your car.

Also read the reviews of the units you are interested in on both sites, they are often helpful when trying to decide which one to buy.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brickpig to the rescue! I was so happy to see you commented on my thread :) I've lurked quite a bit on your development page and I love what you've done with your xb! Thanks for your input, I feel like I have a good direction to start looking!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.