Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of future "power" mods for my box . . .
I noticed that the header is REALLY rusty, always has been.
As part of a complete and fully street legal (no emission issues) exhaust system, IS there an appropriate header on the market.

For terminology in this thread . . . I am used to the ones used for single cat Miatas . . .
Header: Engine exhaust tubes joining one another then the Cat.
Cat: catalytic converters (I'm told we have 2, but only SEE one under the car-> on the front of the engine.
O2 Sensors: instrument used by the vehicle ECU to determine best fuel mixture. We DO have 2 of these. One is before the cat(s) and one after. Elimination of the cats messes with the second of the 2, as the gases normally neutralized by the catalysts in the catalytic converter aren't.
Cat Back: exhaust system that begins AT the rear of the cat(s).
Resonator: that BIG tube under the car, which plays a big role in quieting the vehicle exhaust noise. It is NOT a cat, but a sound control tube. Basically, it is the first part of a 2 muffler system, common on vehicles today and MANY aftermarket exhaust systems.
Muffler replacement: ONLY replaces the very rear of the exhaust system

What I am wondering:
IS there a second cat? If so, WHERE are the 2 units?
Can someone provide me a parts diagram of the exhaust system?

And to my main questions . . .
What are the HEADER options that KEEP the exhausts (and thereby street/emissions legal)?

I'll ask about exhaust systems later . . .
I'm probably getting a Borla, though am undecided as to a single or a dual tip one.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Only 2 headers available to my knowledge are the Weapon-R and the Strup. Neither of which retain the OEM catalytic converter at the exhaust manifold/header. A check engine light eliminator must be used in order to not throw codes.
The big "scuba tank" under the car, to my understanding, DOES have a a catalytic converter inside of it. It's not exclusively a catalytic converter, but it's not exclusively a resonator or sound control device.

The best sounding exhaust I've heard so far, has been the TRD replica s-pipe back and cat/scuba delete coupled with the HKS axle back. Sounded great, IMO.

There's a lot of information regarding this on other forums.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Hey TJ, have you gotten any more info on this? Im interested in the outcome, I would love to put a header on this, but in Mass its gonna be impossible if the cat gets deleted to get inspected.

so any help you've received would be awesome if you could pass it on to me!

·
Registered
318 Posts
at a very boring seminar yesterday i was thinking about this. i bet a custom header with a high flow cat would add the same benefits as a race header, while keeping the cat. some nice stainless steel tubing on top, to a high flow cat, then to the connector for the s pipe. it'd be custom, but i don't think it'd be too expensive to get done.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sovereign said:
at a very boring seminar yesterday i was thinking about this. i bet a custom header with a high flow cat would add the same benefits as a race header, while keeping the cat. some nice stainless steel tubing on top, to a high flow cat, then to the connector for the s pipe. it'd be custom, but i don't think it'd be too expensive to get done.
In theory, it wouldn't be that difficult. That is if you have experience in welding, fabrication, and on top of it all, header experience. Headers aren't just a bunch of tubes welded together. They're optimized for scavenging. Custom headers (stainless is even more) are very expensive.
I think if you wanted to run a header (like the Weapon-R piece) and a full custom exhaust, a decent cat would work just as well.

·
Registered
318 Posts
xseveredveganx said:
Sovereign said:
In theory, it wouldn't be that difficult. That is if you have experience in welding, fabrication, and on top of it all, header experience. Headers aren't just a bunch of tubes welded together. They're optimized for scavenging. Custom headers (stainless is even more) are very expensive.
I think if you wanted to run a header (like the Weapon-R piece) and a full custom exhaust, a decent cat would work just as well.
well the at the research lab i work at there's no shortage of equipment to use (waterjets, welders, cnc) in addition to a group that's building a hybrid race car for a competition. i guess my view is a little biased because i could do almost all of the work myself and just pay for materials.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i personally prefer solidworks

to anyone here who has the stock header off, if i can get the hole diameters and spacings for the top flange, i can start modeling it, and be further on my way to making one of these. im pretty sure i can do it, but we'll see

·
Registered
318 Posts
better question/bump

is the cat on the stock header a bolt on cat, or is it welded in? those of you who have painted the header cover might know if you took a peek.

·
Registered
318 Posts
xseveredveganx said:
I do believe that the cat on the header is welded on.

Vibrant Performance has this:
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1035_1067_1124&products_id=1318ib

But $123 is a bit rich for my blood. Not sure if it helps, ;)
yeah i found an article that mentioned it was welded on. i could make a part like that for much less, but i think i'm just going to save up for the strup header. i'd still have one cat, and thats enough since i don't live in california. thatnks for the link though, i don't think i could have found it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.