Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
1,069 Posts
That header isn't the nicest looking one I've seen...

I learned my lesson with a cheap exhaust - Didn't fit 100% right and sounded funny. I ended up putting my stock exhaust back on and I'm much happier.

· Registered
195 Posts
Does an aftermarket header make the engine sound much louder?

I have a TRD exhaust and an AEM intake. I'm thinking about adding a header but I'm worried about the engine noise attracting unwanted attention. I'm interested in better airflow through the motor - not just more growl when I open the throttle.
Don't want to chance being pulled over it the sound is that much more noticeable.

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Yes, I believe an aftermarket header will make you louder.

I think the S-pipe is kinda pointless, because its the same diameter as the stock one and it's just a pipe. Yes, it's shiny, but you won't see it under your car.

Bottom line is, if you were going to buy a full catback like the Magnaflow that comes with an S-pipe, then yeah put it on with the rest of it and be happy (I would be), but just an S-pipe with the stock exhaust isn't going to make a real difference in sound or in power.

This is assuming I got all my facts straight.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Ok I got it wrong... The midpipe is what won't make any difference. The S-pipe replaces the cat, meaning you probably wont pass emissions tests, but you should be a lot louder.

Hope I got it right this time.

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, the S-Pipe is what makes it loud? so, should I get the strup headers, and exhaust, for 700 off Fast Scions, or just the Weapon R and S-Pipe?

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
On any exhaust, it is best to work from the tip to the engine, for best flow. A well designed system reduces restriction- allowing a better/smoother exhaust flow.

Another factor to consider is "backpressure" - which helps lower-mid range. If you remove enough restriction to have very little backpressure, you'll have more top-end power but less mid-range. The trick is balancing the two . . .

· Registered
166 Posts
first off that header 170 dollar one is a CXRacing header. cheapo if you ask me. i have a weapon r header + weapopn r s-pipe + a strup cat back. 780 dollars from wesellcarparts.com. the header as the cat in it so once the header is changed you will have to keep your resanator to pass the test. but with the header s-pipe and strup cat back it not super loud but louder than stock. kinda deep. and i saw a dyno some where that with the same stuff the guy had an increase of around 17 hp! i havent had a dyno but it diff feels faster!!

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so, do I really need the S-pipe?
and, in Arkansas we don't have tests to pass, besides your driver's. so I'm not too worried about that.

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
The "S-pipe" is between the header and the "scuba tank" (cat #2 and resonator). That exhaust goes after the scuba.
So, different part of the system.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.