Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a set of xenon h11 headlight bulbs from eBay because one of mine burnt out. I just received them and noticed they are 75 watt. The ones I removed which I'm guessing are stock are only 55 watt. Will the new 75 watt one hurt anything? Like melt the wiring harness or headlight housing? Thanks guys

· Registered
1,033 Posts
I had my aftermarket fogs with 55 watt bulbs plugged into the OEM wiring harness which (I think) was designed for 35 watt fog lights. After some intermitent use of the fog lights I looked at the OEM wires and they seemed "stressed". So instead I put in an aftermarket relay and am now powering my fog lights with a wire thru the relay to the battery (instead of powering them via the OEM wiring harness).

75 watts is obviously more power draw than 55 watts. That power goes not just for making light but also heat. IMO the OEM wires are pretty thin.

If it was me, I would not put 75 watt h11 bulbs in my headlights...but that's me.

· Registered
8 Posts
I agree with BrickPig - don't take the chance of burning your wires or headlights by using higher-wattage bulbs.

I would suggest putting in some HIDs - the standard AC ballast kits are down to less than $40 now on ebay. The HID bulbs will draw only 35 watts, and are very easy to install in an xB since there is plenty of room in the engine compartment. Plus, HIDs work really well with the projector headlights and there's a good chance you will never have to replace the bulbs for as long as you have your car...

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup I definitely won't be using those then. I would like to go HID but I never installed those. Is it simple? And where's a good place to look for a deal on a set and anything to look out for? Thanks guys!

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually I just looked at the ddm tuning page and I think I'll actually go that route. They have lifetime warranty. Chris-garage, Did you need/use those mounting brackets that they sell? And what temperature did you go with? Should I do the 8000 or 10000?

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chris-garage one last question, lol. Did you go with 55w or 35w? thanks!

· Registered
596 Posts
I have used 6k, 8k and 10k I realy like 8k due to the blueish color and I used 35watt if you want better output I say go with 55watt 6000 (6k) it has a small hint of blue but better output.

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
awesome, they seem super simple to install. I'm for sure picking up a set and will go with the 8k. I appreciate the help!

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
with the 55w ones on the website it says the color "washes out" is that true? I'm going to go with 8k because I like the blue color. And on the color chart on ddm tunings page 35w ballasts are way more colorful than the 55w. What temperature did you go with? And is the color washed out?

· Registered
97 Posts
Its true, 55watt kits tend to wash out the bulbs color. 6000k bulbs tend to look like 5000k bulbs. Just be careful as your run the risk of burning the headlights projector bowls over time leading to less actual light output.

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright then it sounds like 35w is the way to go! Lol

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh I will! I'm in the process of switching all my exterior lights. I got led running lights and license lights. Just need the turn signals and hid headlights. It'll be probably another 2 weeks until I get paid and get them ordered. But ill definitely post pics up on this thread of all the light swaps once in done.

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finally ordered my HID kit today from DDM Tuning. I ended up going with 35w 8k. I'll post pics and thoughts after I install them probably some time next week. Thanks for the help and advice!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.