Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You'll need an oven, a flat screwdriver...ok a butter knife will work, and a phillips. After you get them out of the car and remove all of the lighting and rubber grommets it's time to get them in the oven at 220 degrees F. I don't have any pics on how to get them out of the car since my car exploded in May and I can't remember but as soon as my car gets back from Japan I'll do a write up on that.
Remove these two screws before you go to the easy bake part:

And these 3 screws too:

If you can't remember where this little white clip goes here's a pic too:

Throw them in the oven for 10 minutes at 220 degrees F then start pulling them apart gently like this:

There's a few small clips that go over the lens but since the lights are HOT...did I forget to mention that:)...they will bend to your will. It has nothing to do with how hot they are.
Now remove the 2 screws that hold the lens together:

Add a little paint:

I used Dupli-color metalcast anodized blue from NAPA part#MC201
then put it back together and put the lens on and heat it up again so you can press the glue back into the seams and seal it. THe glue is sticky but I guess I'm just stating the obivious. Here's how mine came out:

I'm working on the projectors now so when I have a diffuser panel that works well I'll post up again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No but I was thinking about getting something like that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can you post pics of them on the car??

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
matt311 said:
you think it would work good and look good if i painted mine a matte black?...
Yes it would look very good. Its a very popular mod over on the VW forums. Quite a few people have done it. So much so that companies actually started making headlights already blacked out inside. Just don't paint the reflectors, only the sections that don't need to reflect light. Also if you don't feel safe putting yourlights in an oven a standard heat gun will do just fine.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
This looks interesting.

Any picts of cars with painted headlights?
I am curious how they look, esp. in body colour.

(I am thinking of painting mine to match the body silver.)

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Thanks!
I may try silver, then. I could always repaint black later, if it doesn't look "right" to me.

G

·
0 Posts
Those look good I may paint mine to match my car. Does painting them make your lights less bright and will cops pull you over? I hate cops.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Corvettes come from the factory with color matching headlights now so it's legal and they seem to be the same brightness to me.

·
Registered
528 Posts

Really easy to do.
Most paint stores will be able to do body color in aerosol for around $14-$20 a can. If you have a tri stage paint (i.e. pearl, candy, etc) you'll have to get the base coat and the pearl/candy/whatever.
I'll probably be doing a set of in the silver and another set in the NBM. We'll see...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Also, you can add the "angel eye" effect with out actually getting a set of angel eyes. There's a bit of a gap inbetween the shroud and the projector itself. If you drill some holes around the plastic projector mount and glue in some LED's, you should be set.

G

·
0 Posts
You should do NBM (my color : ) ) Also I like your tats. Wanna do me a set :) ?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Wave Rider said:
You should do NBM (my color : ) ) Also I like your tats. Wanna do me a set :) ?
If you were in the area, I'd be more than happy to!!!

Thanks for the tattoo compliment. I have a little bit of work done. :rofl:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts