Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been contemplating on different headlights for my xB for quite sometime now. I really want to go with a black housing style headlight with the HID kit added in to give it that aggressive look at night. My problem is I have a pair picked out but I dont know if they will look right on it and I really like the pic of the silver xB on the frontpage of this site because from the looks of it it has the factory headlight assembly and it is blacked out in the housing itself. So I guess my question is has anybody ever done this project before and is it difficult to do. I am always up for trying new things and I really like the way that it looks so some advice would be greatly appreciated. My other question while I am on this subject are the HID's... I would like to do all of the lights in the front low,high and fog and I like the blueish tinted ones which I believe are around the 6k-8k range any suggestions on brands to look at or any suggestions on if it is even legal to do or any type of stipulation doing this mod. Thanks in advanced

· Registered
658 Posts
Color also depends a lot on wattage. A 55w ballast will make the colors less apparent but the light will be brighter. 35w ballast will give you more color variation. For awhile people were "cooking" their headlights in the over to be able to take them apart so they could be painted. Whether or not that's possible with the 2011's headlights (I've heard they are different from the 2008-2010) I do not know. I personally just decided to leave the lights as is with 8000K 55w HID's. Black would look cool but not worth the time or money for me personally.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Black would look cool but it is alot of upfront costs. Are you happy with 8k hid's?

· Registered
658 Posts
Black would look cool but it is alot of upfront costs. Are you happy with 8k hid's?
I am very happy. Nice expected HID look/color without being too bright and getting high beam'd all the time like with 5000k HID's that are super bright white. As said before, its possible but my main concern with cooking and pulling apart the housing for the headlights to paint the reflectors would be the lifespan of everything involved. THe headlight would need to be cleaned very well inside after paint, the seal would have to be compromised or resealed with silicone and the heat may affect the paint. As said before, love the look but not worth it to me. I simply added some DDM HID's for $70 shipped and have been very pleased. Lifetime warranty on the ballasts and $15 for a set of new bulbs.

:cheers:

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice. Thanks for your advice,much appreciated.

· Registered
8 Posts
I dont think there are any aftermarket headlights available for the '11+ xBs yet. From what I have been told from suppliers is that they only fit the 08-10 models so I would confirm with them before making any purchases as some have been mislabeled on their sites (i.e. Fastscions.com)

· Registered
658 Posts
I dont think there are any aftermarket headlights available for the '11+ xBs yet. From what I have been told from suppliers is that they only fit the 08-10 models so I would confirm with them before making any purchases as some have been mislabeled on their sites (i.e. Fastscions.com)
I have also heard this but have not yet been able to confirm either way. (Which is why I have simply upgraded to HID's and left it at that for now)

· Registered
846 Posts
I have the Oznium vent lites and ordered some 6000K HID's. I'm hoping that their color will match more closely to the vents than the OEM's.

· Registered
8 Posts
I know for sure that the Eagle Eyes Dual Halo w/Black Housing from Fastscions.com does not fit the 2011+ xBs. I spoke with someone there and that is who told me they were mislabeled. I also emailed ANZO and they said they do not offer them yet but might in the near future...kinda vague but heres hoping!!

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The eagle eyes on fastscions.com site were the ones I wanted to get but I wasn't sure if they would fit. I have been looking at them before I even got my xB back in the beginning of August. I really would like the halo setup with a black housing but I don't want to take away the feel that the Release Series gives you but I also don't want to take a chance on ruining my factory lights either. Maybe I will just upgrade to HID's for the time being. Debating about 6k or 8k and if I should do the slim bllast or not. Thanks guys for all the advice.

· Registered
8 Posts
no problem mang, glad i could give you a heads up before you spent the money and then had to send em back!! i will say it might be possible that they will still bolt up, but there might be some gapping around the housing. maybe there is someone who has tested that out, but I haven't read anything...

· Registered
782 Posts
My other question while I am on this subject are the HID's... I would like to do all of the lights in the front low,high and fog and I like the blueish tinted ones which I believe are around the 6k-8k range any suggestions on brands to look at or any suggestions on if it is even legal to do or any type of stipulation doing this mod. Thanks in advanced
Absolutely don't do the highs, all you'll accomplish is scattering light in all directions and blinding oncoming drivers. I suggest you stop and do some research on HID headlights before making any purchases. Note: The Scion projector low beam housings are specifically designed for Halogen, not HID, their dispersion characteristics are not the same. One last point, blueish may look cool to you when you see it, but it actually works less well for seeing. The purpose of headlights is to help the driver to see (preferably without being a problem for oncoming drivers), safety wise, looking "cool" is secondary.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
I'll add a small caveat to that:
In well lit areas, like most of a major city such as Atlanta, Philly, LA, or the like, the ambient lighting is enough for drivers to see out just fine w/o ANY lights at all. In that case, headlamps are as much about others seeing you as that are about seeing out.
But, in a more mid-to-small city situation or in the country, the lighting is primary about seeing and secondarily about being seen.
Think of it this way, how often do you actually NEED to use the brights to see and not just be obnoxious to others (like SUVs driving in city traffic w/ their miss-aimed fogs on all the time blinding the rear-view mirrors of all in front of them)?
I was raised in Atlanta and practically NEVER used brights at all and had to remember to even turn on the lights at all-even in the dark.
Now, I live in a small town (10,000) in the country. I use brights A LOT now. I use them to scan the sides of the roads for deer and other animals, give lighting to the non-lit 2-lane road I am barreling down at 60, and to see road signs in enough distance to know they are there before I have to panic-stop.
That makes a HUGE difference.

If one is in a well-light urban area, where to-be-seen is more important that needing-to-see by the vehicle's own lights, then I can see the "coolness factor" having more play. But, if in an area where brights are needed for real, functional, and practical purposes, then the "coolness factor" is much less important.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.