Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a few of you know I'm not an xB owner, however I plan to purchase in the Spring (hopefully the RS!). In the meantime, I'm continuing my research. And, what better way to do so than with current owners?! So, your help is much appreciated with the following questions...

1) How well does the heater work? (How fast does it heat up, does it work as well as expected, etc.)

2) For those with lowering springs installed, is the ride stiffer? Do they affect handling (positively or negatively)? Do they present an issue with speed bumps or driveways with a sharp initial entry?

3) What TRD options do you find vital and recommended for improved performance (on an A/T)? (Strut tie bar? Rear sway bar? Shocks? Air filter? Others?) Or, do any of you think the TRD options are a waste of money?

4) What is your biggest complaint about the 2nd Gen xB?

Thanks gang! And, thanks again for letting me take part in the forum! I look forward to be a "real" part of the club!

Joe

· Registered
1,989 Posts
No complaints w/ the heater.
Springs will stiffen the ride and make it handle better
TRD sway bars & shocks are good options. The strut bar is mostly for looks & the air filter won't improve performance, but you can clean it, so it won't have to be replaced.
I have several complaints, but none are enough to have kept me from buying the car, i.e. arm rest, lack of storage, no auto-off headlights, no variable intermittent wipers, etc. Most can be fixed w/ aftermarket options, except for the arm rest.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
I haven't used the heater yet, not cold enough.

For suspension, a "must get" to improve handling is either a TRD rear sway (fine for most drivers) or a front/rear set, like the Hotchkis one set from Sparks.

I added the TRD/Scion interior storage stuff (net, c-pillar, and overhead bin) and am VERY happy with them and use them constantly (even the net).

Most is for looks, so that is a matter of personal opinion.

From what you HAVE said, I am of the opinion that a silver with purple paint/vinyl would work well for you. But, that is entirely up to you!

I LOVE the xB and it is my favorite non-2-seater I have owned and one of the favorite driven.
I have ZERO regrets from my buy back in May/June (bought end of May, took delivery June 1st).
I now have just under 10,000 miles and LOVE every mile.

· Registered
72 Posts
I'd have to agree with the paint. It does seem a bit cheap to me.

I'm coming from a volvo v50 so my missing features that I loved about the volvo were:
1. Heated seats...
2. Auto head lights
3. Auto windshield wipers
4. more adjustable seats ( the xb's are not bad but they are no where near as comfortable as my volvo's were.)

This last weekend I took the car up 211 here in northern virginia to skyline drive. This was a drive I used to do in TR6's and MG's when I was a kid and I have to say it brought back so many memories. I've not been up there in ages. I have the 5 speed box and going up and down the mountain was more fun than in the MG. :) I could have done that all day but I think my breaks would kill me lol. The amount of break dust I found on the rims was crazy.

So much fun though. My Volvo was never this much fun :)

· Registered
35 Posts
Joe -

1) The heater is more than enough - ditto the AC. (I haven't worried about heat since my 1960 Bug Eyed Sprite!) However - I added heated seats (after market) and I am glad I did.

2) Sales lady where I bought had lowering springs on her xB and said it made the ride much bumpier. But that is only secondhand info.

3) I got the TRD Front Strut Tie Bar and the TRD rear Stabilizer bar - both items WELL worth it. (My last two cars were Mercedes, I traded an 04 C320 AWD for the xB and it has been a big improvement!) With the Strut Bar and Rear stabilizer, I have not missed the Mercedes handling at all.

I also added Alpine Navigation stereo, rear wind spoiler, security system, floor mats and cargo liner.
AFTER MARKET - but from the dealer, I got two-tone leather seats (Katskins) with seat heaters, and a huge moonroof. Glad I did.
I passed up wheels - didn't like the options - I bought sport wheels from Tirerack.com instead.

4) Biggest complaint: well, I REALLY miss (A) heated mirrors (here in Mid-Missouri) and (B) auto-on/off headlights. Two critical safety items! The xB has more wind and road noise than the mercedes, fair enough, and soundproofing mats help that immensely.

I agree - damn thing dents and chips like crazy, but I am a state employee and park in a big lot. ugh!

BOTTOM LINE: after 8 years in a couple different Mercedes', I consider the xB a huge improvement! I LOVE IT!

enjoy! (PS I bought mine in St. Louis at Akerman, on the Hill, and loved the deal and their ability to add quality after-market options like the leather, heat and moonroof.)

Dale

· Registered
35 Posts
PS Re: Heat, springs, and TRD options

after I go to work and come home tomorrow, I'll have 18,000 mile on mine.
I bought it Nov 22, 2007. So, I am going to hit about 19,000 miles by the time I've had it 12 months.
One road trip, Columbia, Mo., to Louisville Ky, and back.

that'll be 19,000 happy, carefree, safe, Fun miles.

I don't think I ever mentioned it on this list - before I traded the MB for the xB, I went to National Highway Safety web page, and downloaded the crash-test safety results on '08 xB. the Report is about 220 pages long and details how many G forces the box can take from any given angle. After reading a thorough safety review, I was ready to leave the safety of the Mercedes and drive the box. Again, glad I did!

Life is too short for an aerodynamic car! ;)

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it. If anyone else has thoughts or comments, please keep 'em coming! It's been incredibly helpful. I am so jonesin' for an xB now!!!

Incidentally, I stopped at a Scion dealer yesterday just to "browse." I was blown away by what they had sitting on the floor: an xB with Mark III custom work. They took a silver box, then two-toned it by painting the top and hood a bright royal blue, 19" alloy rims, ground kit, and dual exhaust! Man, it was killer. I wish I was ready to buy! The sales guy told me when I was ready, I could order one with similar custom work. I hope he meant it!

· Premium Member
811 Posts
There has to be reasons for there to be so many Scion websites...they are great cars. Every where else in the world, they are badged as Toyota and that's the daddy of the "scion" baby. I even belong to a car club just for Scions, scikotics, and won my first plaque today as Best in Class.

I moved from a 2000 4Runner. It was getting more difficult to climb up into it, so I looked for something that would accommodate my "abilities" and was still fun to drive. I did a lot of research before even going to the dealership. I even researched the different dealers. Now, I am really happy with my choice.

· Registered
782 Posts
G-Volt said:
So, a few of you know I'm not an xB owner, however I plan to purchase in the Spring (hopefully the RS!). In the meantime, I'm continuing my research. And, what better way to do so than with current owners?! So, your help is much appreciated with the following questions...

1) How well does the heater work? (How fast does it heat up, does it work as well as expected, etc.)
Haven't really had to use the heater yet, but to what minimal degree I've wanted it, it's done just fine.

2) For those with lowering springs installed, is the ride stiffer? Do they affect handling (positively or negatively)? Do they present an issue with speed bumps or driveways with a sharp initial entry?
I have a set of Eibach Prokit springs, but I think it more important to get the TRD sway bar (or equivalent.) Not everyone will care for the springs, but I can't imagine objecting to the swaybar -- it's just such a great improvement over the stock lean behavior.

3) What TRD options do you find vital and recommended for improved performance (on an A/T)? (Strut tie bar? Rear sway bar? Shocks? Air filter? Others?) Or, do any of you think the TRD options are a waste of money?
I'd consider the sway bar to be vital, everything else is personal preferance.

4) What is your biggest complaint about the 2nd Gen xB?
I get the impression the paint finish could have been sturdier -- but no serious problems! I'd say if anything, 2.4L is overkill for its powerplant, but no question, it performs VERY nicely :)!,

Thanks gang! And, thanks again for letting me take part in the forum! I look forward to be a "real" part of the club!

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.