Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In 2011 my baby (2003 Honda Civic SI) that I bought new in 2003 was totaled in a tornado at the St. Louis airport. I ended up getting a great deal from insurance and was still able to part the car out.

I ended up getting a new 2011 Acura TSX, which is a very nice car but nothing like or as fun as the hatch. My wife wanted it because it was a 4 door and we were planning on having a baby within the next few years and wanted the extra room.

Fast forward to May 15th 2013 we finally had a baby boy. Now that we are using the backseat of the TSX we have discovered that it is very small, I think it may be smaller than most 2 door cars. We can barely get him in and out of the car and the car seat hardly fits passenger seat needs to be moved up in order for it to fit.

I think we have decided that we want to get a new car with a bigger back seat. We just don’t know what to get. I have never owned anything other than a Honda or Acura and find it hard to look at other brands, but I’m just not that impressed with Honda’s current lineup. We just don’t know what to get. We also have a 2012 Honda Pilot Touring, but we don’t want that to be our daily driver.

Lately I have to looking at the 2013 Scion xB’s. I kind of like the look of them, and they seem easy to mod. I have never driven this car nor liked at it in person, but the backseat looks like it has plenty of room.
What do you guys think? Any ideas on what to get or any insight on the Scion xB? I’m looking for a new car as well. Or should I keep the Acura and daily the Pilot? Thank you guys!

[/COLOR]http://s44.photobucket.com/user/Superhatch03/media/0.jpg.htmlhttp://s44.photobucket.com/user/Superhatch03/media/0.jpg.html

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Congrats on your baby boy! The xB would be a good choice for lots of room. There's lots of room inside and it's not that big outside. I routinely carry my wife and 3 teenage kids with me no problem, the xB has more rear seat room than my 2000 Toyota Camry. Yes the xB is easy to mod. As a Honda owner you may be disappointed by the beam rear axle and the somewhat stiff ride. The weakest part of the xB is that it was designed prior to 2008 and has not been updated much since. Compared to other cars currently available the fuel economy is not that great. Scion only offers the xB with a 5 speed manual or a 4 speed automatic. The automatic dampens the experience if you are a Driver (I own an Auto and feel that the 4 gear ratios have a hard time covering all of the speed range in a smooth manner). I strongly suggest that you go and test drive an xB, both an automatic and a manual. However manual trannys can be hard to find. Other cars to consider are the Kia Soul or the Nissan Cube, they each have their own approach to boxy/roomy/funky/practical/fun. Also look at the Mazda 3, it doesn't have as much room as an xB but it can be fun to drive and offers modern drivetrains. Have fun shopping!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW why don't you like the Honda Fit? Too much like a minivan? Not enough power? Don't they have a Sport package now?
Thank you for the congrats on our little man and info on the xB! As far as the fit I just don't like the look of the new one, there is just something not right with it. If they still had the old body style fit I would highly consider it. Unfortunately I have a problem with buying used cars because I’m so OCD about my cars and keeping the in like mint condition that I can’t buy someone else’s problems and most of the time it is not too much for a new and Honda usually offers some great APRs on their new models. I’m take another look at the fit, but first I will drive the xB.

· Registered
432 Posts
the Fit is neat but the two cars aren't directly comparable anymore due to considerable weight and mpg difference. in my opinion the fit is a bit more of a daily driver or passive economy commuter, where the xB makes more of a statement... more unique. I'm a big dude so I fell in love with the passenger space and I love the cars geometry.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the Fit is neat but the two cars aren't directly comparable anymore due to considerable weight and mpg difference. in my opinion the fit is a bit more of a daily driver or passive economy commuter, where the xB makes more of a statement... more unique. I'm a big dude so I fell in love with the passenger space and I love the cars geometry.
I'm also a big guy at 6'4" so anybody who sits behind me is usually cramped. That is one reseaon the rear space in important to me.

· Registered
661 Posts
The xBs rear seat is awesome. Im on my third xB in 3 years. Talk about ocd huh. I drive with my seat all the way back and all the way down. Im 6' and I can sit comfortably in the rear with the front set like I do. Even in my daughters tC its like that. The xB is what I got after a quad cab ram. The truck was wider but the b is roomier. Leg wise. I needed a fam car too, and have loved scions before they came stateside. Not to mention it is a toyota drivetrain, just as similar toleranced as honda.

· Premium Member
709 Posts
I know their is lots of people who carry car seats in the xb and haven't heard anyone complain about room.
Your on an xb lovers site and so you will be persuaded into the B lol.

I agree with the rest of the guys here, test drive it! I was somewhat hesitant but as soon as I got in it in person and drove it I loved it and bought it right there.
in the end it's up to you, it would suck to regret a new car purchase

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Test drive it
Set the seat where YOU like it
Sit behind yourself

Unless you have the seat WAY back and/or have insanely long legs, it should have LOTS of room even then.
The xB is longer front-rear than the 06 Crown Vic (HATED it) that I replaced. The Vic is wider, but the B better F/R.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.